Thread: Rooks

was out looking for rook chicks hopping around out of the nest this weekend,,didn't see any..normally they're out in mid-may though? you seen any around yet?....

not hopping they are flying well around here.Think i recall 13th may as being the traditional brancher shooting day but is much earlier in recent years

Went out Saturday evening on the Rooks, branchers all up & flying now but still a bit unsteady & with no stamina so coming back into the nest regularly which meant we had some great shooting

Last edited by Chris Rob; 17-05-2011 at 00:40. Reason: Crap spelling
    Life should be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving skidding in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO what a ride!

first time ive shot branchers in april usually 12th of may is rook shooting day , after you plant your beans

In my youth in Shropshire May 15th was the magic day, air rifle practice par excellence, we had several very large rookeries to thin out. Would spend all weekend with a mate roaming around several big oak woods, tall trees, very testing shooting.

on the 12th you went to stow fair in the morning , planted your beans the shot rooks after tea

I was out on Sunday and there were plenty about, we had a good couple of hours shooting.
    By three methods we may learn wisdom:
    First, by reflection, which is noblest;
    Second, by imitation, which is easiest;
    and third by experience, which is the bitterest