Thread: My best Roe buck yet!

My best Roe buck yet!

Hello all,

I thought I'd share my story of yesterday's stalk with you.

I'd planned my day to start, as I usually like to plan to, at 4am. However due to a moderate intake of Shiraz and Rioja the night previous I struggled to make sense of the alarm at that time and awarded myself a further 3 hours in bed.

Thinking that it may still be worth a trip into the woodland to see what's wandered in after a full nights feeding I headed off to a seemingly well used area with a lot of activity signs. the usual couches and fraying/ scraping sites.

I'd had 3 stalks in as many days in this woodland and was focussing my efforts on a single animal. A wily old lad who'd been the boss of things for the last few years. The wind was blowing strong from the west until I entered the tree cover when it was more north easterly - down the valley.

Only 45 minutes in I spotted a doe nibbling on the grasses, she spotted something unfamiliar, me as I came around the side of a holly bush, and scampered away - fortunately not sounding off. To her left was the buck. Initially standing but almost completely obscured by a large pine. I waited. He inched to the side and lay down.

I could see two antlers, an ear, and an eye. Perfectly nestled almost completely behind a tree, below the line of ground cover and with a 'roe coloured' fallen tree behind. I had been very lucky.

I must have watched him in that position for over an hour, until he stood. 90% broadside facing from my right to left, slightly towards me. I squeezed one out and my Sako .270 with 130gn accubond sailed straight through his heart.

A throughly enjoyable morning. and afternoon preparing him for meat, and preparing my first mount... more difficult that I first thought! I have never been overly interested in the quality of a head, or trophies but since I'd seen this chap sporadically for years, he'll stay with me always!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0131.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	678.6 KB 
ID:	6820Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0135.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	608.1 KB 
ID:	6819Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0137.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	855.3 KB 
ID:	6818Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0136.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	772.1 KB 
ID:	6817

Nr Newport (shrops)
    nice one

Very nice!

Well done.

My Hunting Blog: click here

Nice to see you're getting out dave and its a very nice buck at that. I plan to be a bit busy over this next week and hopefully grass a buck or two.

Good to see you back George. Trusting you had a trip of a lifetime?!

I look forward to hearing about your upcoming stalks in due course.

That's a very nice buck DC, great stalk.

Life should be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving skidding in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO what a ride!

Quote Originally Posted by DC .270 View Post
    Good to see you back George. Trusting you had a trip of a lifetime?!

I look forward to hearing about your upcoming stalks in due course.

Thanks dave the trip was amazing. Hopefully I'll get a birthday buck in tomorrow and get a write up done. Hope you keep on well getting out there.

Cracking buck,very envious.
    Atb John.

Thanks guys!

It's great knowing that there's a lot of the summer still to go - the size and quality this year seems to be exceptional, bearing in mind the harsh winter.