First 4x4: need tyre recommendation

Mat

I was running a Nissan Primera, but I took it to the garage last week and was told it needed significant work to fix the exhaust and steering, effectively writing it off. Mind you I probably hastened its demise by shaking it to pieces down bumpy roads :evil:

So, I was thinking along the lines of something small like a Suzuki Jimny or a Fiat Panda 4x4, both mentioned favourably here. The wife put her foot down and insisted that we be able to fit the kids in it, which instantly ruled out the Jimny which doesn't have 5 doors, so no practical way to get the car seats in the back, apart from being too small. So I ended up dragging the family off to see the Panda at the nearest Fiat dealer, again the wife insisted it was too small in the back despite having enough doors :doh:

Almost ready to give up hope of owning a small 4x4 and we came across a Fiat Sedici. A what !?!? Yeah, I hadn't heard of it either. Turns out it's actually a Suzuki SX4 in disguise and Fiat's input was basically the styling. Bigger than the Panda, it's much faster, a bit bigger not much more fuel consumption because it's 2WD most of the time. Big enough to keep the wife happy.

Anyway, all I need now are some tyres that will be reasonable off road: 205/60 R16 - I've not been able to find anything on the internet, it seems that being small the selection is limited, do I need to ring around? Or will I need to invest in smaller rims?

Also, is there anything else I need?

Mat, I always use Bridgestone All Terrains, I've got one of the New Hilux Invincibles, and the tyres really top off the snow and mud performance of the vehicle.

I am unsure if you will get these to fit but I certainly rate them.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    183.4 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
hi i use bf goodrich mud terrain tyres. I travel 50 miles a day to work and back and in 3 years the tyres still look like new

If you going to keep the car- see above(BF tyres) without a doubt ! if its a car you change every couple of years & less, try khumo or Maxiss tyes , they have good tread wear for the ££

Thanks for the recommendations, my main problem is finding anything in the right size!

I have a Nissan X-Trail and similar situation - not an AT tyre on earth to fit it. I took a quick look here for you:

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m64b0s0p0

And doesn't look like there is anything to fit. With that in mind I think it worthwhile to give these people a call

http://www.silverlinewheels-tyres.com/

Their web side doesn't say much but once you get talking to the 4X4 tyre chap he knows his stuff and can maybe direct you or will know if there is something out there to suit you.

He was able to tell me that as I was in no rush (deer season closed here so probably no stalking until October time) there may be a few people releasing new tyres to fit my Nissan before the end of summer. If so that would save me buying new wheels.

Thanks for the links, still can't find my size :(

Will it screw up my insurance if I go for a non-standard size?

Ring the man at silverline and ask him what tyres will fit on your wheels.

It is possible that slightly different sizes will fit your wheels depending on the exact size of your rims, it is likely that the exact size of the rims will be in the manual for the car.

The man will then be able to give you some guidance as to what might fit on your rims. With it being a soft-roader type vehicle my bet is there isn't a lot of clearance and so anything much taller is not going to fit as it will foul the arches, brakes or suspension.

If you are thinking about smaller wheels then you need to look very carefully at whether they will clear the brakes and the other stuff that sit under the rim.

In terms of insurance you will need to talk to the company, especially if you are changing the size of the rims. I would guess each company will be different.

hello

I put some blood and guts off road tyers on my Land rover They are called security They are cheap , around £60-70 each and are the most aggresive tyers I have every had without being tractor tyers. We just changed all the tyers on our Disco for them as well as we were so impressed

Mark

Back