Remote surveilance

Little Terry

Has anyone ever tried anything like this for monitoring deer:
http://www.wivisystems.com/bin/ws8.dll/home?snoid=6278

I've just installed a salt lick site on my permission and will hopefully put more out over time. I was just looking at the options with regard to monitoring it remotely to see what's going on without actually sitting there for hours, which is not always practical.

I have seen the motion-sensitive digital cameras in the bushwear catalogue etc and was tempted by one. Then I thought about a live webcam, then I could keep an eye on it whilst sitting at my desk at work!!!

The prices vary widely and I wondered what was worth paying for and what wasn't.

What are you all using, if anything, for this sort of thing and what sort of results ahve you managed to achieve?

Mark

I keep thinking it must be possible to link a motion sensor to a cheap digital camera, so that every time it sees movement it takes a pic, with date and time.

the trail cameras look great but im not sure I want to spend £200+
must be the Yorkshire in me.

Results!

My mate in Sweden has finally got round to buying a remote camera and has put it up near one of his Wildboar feeding stations. The initial results are very interesting. Make is Cuddeback http://www.cuddeback.com/

Badger stealing the pig's bread.

Fox and Badger working together.

Fox watching a Roe buck.

Moose.

Pine Martin.

Wildboar eating apples.

He has got a huge catalogue of photos already and we have assembled the times and dates into a chart, which is showing some really interesting patterns in the feeding habits with changes around full moon etc. It should give us a really good idea of the best times to be out there. Obviously there are peaks of activity following feeding days. The number of species that are making use of the site is quite staggering. We even think we have a picture of a Lynx and have sent it off to some experts to see if they can confirm it.

I've now put one on my letter to father Christmas!!!! I'll have to be good.

Obviously there won't quite be the same number of species over here, but it's the fact that a record of times and dates can be accumulated so easily that really interests me. Should be useful for baiting up for charlie round the pheasant pens too!

I'll keep you posted....................

Mark.

Some great pictures.
Also good to get an idea of feeding patterns as you say.
Good to have if you have got a new patch to see where there is the most acctivity

Jonathon

mark
i could always sit out there watching for deer through my scope for you and report back :lol: :lol:
only joking
will be interested in seeing the results if you do get one of these spy cams
as i hav always thought about one for myself
stone

I've got a Wildview infrared Xtreme digital scouting camera. 2.0 mega pixel. No flash uses 24 emitters to illuminate the coverage area.
Uses 'Burst mode' technology, multiple imaging or action videos.
Wow, I just copied that off of the box.
I have opened it to see if it was all there and read the instructions.
it says it is easy to use switch set up with time and date but it is far too technical for me.
If anybody wants to make me a sensible offer, including postage they are welcome.
My son bought it for me and I think he paid about £120 so I would expect about 2/3rds would lever it from my hands!!

EMcC said:
I've got a Wildview infrared Xtreme digital scouting camera. 2.0 mega pixel. No flash uses 24 emitters to illuminate the coverage area.
Uses 'Burst mode' technology, multiple imaging or action videos.
Wow, I just copied that off of the box.
I have opened it to see if it was all there and read the instructions.
it says it is easy to use switch set up with time and date but it is far too technical for me.
If anybody wants to make me a sensible offer, including postage they are welcome.
My son bought it for me and I think he paid about £120 so I would expect about 2/3rds would lever it from my hands!!

yes I will have it for £80.

Those are excellent pics from your mates cuddeback in Sweden.Any chance that you can find out the camera model/specs?-Toby

cameras

I am curious if little terry got his camera and how hes getting on with it.
Seems to be some good kit around for £100-£140. Do they really work, I'm actually more interested in foxes with it.

Back