Which rifle? Do I buy?

goldypurple

Been to look at a couple of rifles today, at my local rfd,
He didn't have much in only four .243s.

Anyway he had a couple I was interested but un decided on which one.

First one was a Remington 770, brand new with bushnell scope priced at £515

Second one was a browning a bolt brand new with bushnell scope and 2 mags priced at £660.

Both rifle felt ok to me, triggers were the usual standard triggers, but I'm undecided which one, so guys give me you opinions

Thanks in advance

Andy

Have a look on guntrader, there are lots of .243's on there, will only cost around £25 to be sent to your local rfd.

ATB
Daz

Agghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Remington 770..

Run very far away from this piece of rubbish.. far away as fast as you can. It's a throw away rifle with very cheap plastic bits glued to it.

As our American friends often say ................... I would not even use one as a Tomato stake.

The advice to look further is very good but do avoid the Remington 770 and the forerunner of it the 710 as theya re real crap.

Andy,

Visit more RFD

Stan

This is true.

Would not take the Remington home if they were giving them away.

The Browning is not bad, but too expensive.

You have an FAC in one hand and cash in another?

Take a day trip to a bigger RFD some where and get yourself a deal.

I would normally always advise a good SH Sako or Tikka, but these are getting harder to come by.

Take a week to look about, get Gunmart or whatever and take yourself out for a drive next weekend. I would rather drive a couple of hundred miles and get what I want rather than taking what a local guy has to offer.

A remington 700 in stainless is quite a nice rifle but I wouldn't want the cheaper remmy.
As mentioned by others, take your time to choose. If you don't know much about rifles...do not buy second hand, there is a lot of trash out there.
Tikkas and sakos are quite useable out the box, Howa have a better action design let down by really bad plastic stocks (the walnut or laminate are useable), Remington 700 has the same stock problem.
As time goes on you might want to alter you rifle to suit your hunting needs, Remington 700, Tikka T3 and Howa 1500 have good aftermarket bits available.
Of the lot, maybe a Tikka T3 would be the best compromise to start with.
edi

Sound advice....wait a while, look through Guntrader & UK Gunrooms sites & go to a bigger dealer. Remington & Sako are pretty heavy rifles. Don't know about Tikka & A bolt. Do know a friend with an A bolt & he's happy with it & had it for years..I've never fired it.
Cheers.

+1 :thumb: Get out and about Andy there are plenty to choose from, you'll find yourself a decent deal if your willing to look.

Remember it's your money, your calling the shots and don't be hurried into anything.

All The Best, Buck.

PS. Tikka gets my vote, but thats my opinion.

I recently bought my first rifle. I looked and researched on the web and went to several RFDs. I decided between either a Sako 85 or a Steyr Mannlicher Classic halfstock, both similar in price. The deciding factor was that, for me, the Mannlicher fitted me so much better than the Sako. Try a few rifles out , see which fits you and what you're comfortable with, buy the gun that makes you happy.

mannlichers are great , mines a full stock but each to their own . Dont rush in to anything and get what you like

Steyr Mannlicher

I agree, a Steyr Mannlicher is certainly worth a look at. I shot with a .243 Win. for over 20 years. It was pretty light to carry, accurate & not one problem....It had a Swarovski 8x56 with Steyr swing off mounts. Excellent kit. Cheers.

tiika m595, slick bolt,very good trigger, simple safety, push forward locks the trigger and bolt. great accuracy, and hold there money pretty well to. due to the actions being popular for rebarrel on.

Last edited:
I bought one of those remington rifles you're talking about and I have to say that whilst it works after a fashion ( ie pull the trigger bullet comes out the end) it is not a masterpiece of workmanship. OK now I am not interested in big name brands or stalker bling and have nothing to prove, all I wanted was a rifle that would last me the next 30-odd years. Then, i reasoned, I dont have to buy another one ever, and it will do all I need. So I recommend against the advice of ejg that you do buy a second hand rifle. A cz or brno centrefire based on the mauser action that hasnt had loads of work should be available for under 500 in any county in the uk many will have a scope on them too. There are lots of other makes (ie tikka sako heym bsa etc) of european rifle which will very realistically give you bang for your buck (or in this case quid). Dont buy one of those modern cheap end mass produced rifles., I reckon you'll regret it. If you have a budget of lets say 750 spend halves on the rifle and scope, both second hand, and I doubt you'll regret it. Buy it off someone you genuinely like or instinctively trust. Best of luck

Oh dear.......................... now if you put it in the cabinet and use it say once or twice a year it may last you 30 years but don't bet on it. Those 710's and 770's are dreadfully made and designed. Many are breaking in fact the 710 was so bad even Remington HAD to do something about it hence the 770. I hope yours lasts better than others I have read and hear about.

I am looking for a 243 as well.
Have no intention of spending more that £4-500 on the rifle. and probably less on the scope.

There are some cracking deals out there, a lot of people are hanging up their hunting hats and selling off, sako, bsa, steyr, tikka, etc etc that look like they have spent most of their life in the gun cupboard.

I looked at a BSA CF2 with scope on here for £360! it was mint, just hadnt got my FAC back in time and it has probably gone by now. plenty around though.

visit some gamefairs over the summer, you will never see more guns in one place than you will there.
dont worry about finding the right calibre, find the right style and model and then you can hone it down to find a private or RFD sale on line.

'A bolt' out of the 2, but as said a lil too rich on the price, (scope depending) Have a look at a BSA, super quality & accuracy @ a bargain !
Take your time, as said above.

If I was buying a second hand rifle (which is what I normally do) I would seek out dealers with their own ranges and are willing to let you try before you buy. That way you will find out for yourself how good the rifle feels to use and also how well it shoots.
I know of two here in the South West and one in the South East that I'd happily recommend to anyone who asks.
There must be similar ones in the East of England. So can anyone give the lad some suggestions?
Lets weed out the bad shops and promote the good ones!
Also if you join a good rifle club you should be able to examine and maybe even try other members rifles to see if you like them.

Back