Country Covers Stalking Smock & Field Smock????

rigboot

Hello gents,

Well I’m hoping to get to the Scone Game Fair this year and I’m already compiling a list of gear to have a look at and try on for size but, I’m specifically after any reviews of

a) Country Covers Stalking Smock with or without rainshield liner &

b) the Waterproof Field smock?

I am aware of the Arktis / CC connection and reputations but just wanted to see if anyone has any longish term user views on the waterproofing, harsh treatment etc when wearing any of the above in the field

Thanks in advance

Rb

don't know if this helps you but...

Of late for stalking and finshing (Including a wet day in the Hebrides at the end of last season) I've been wearing a mil surplus windproof smock, you can pick them up at a substantial saving over the CC/Arktis stuff on ebay and the like if you might want to save a few quid and try that route first. Sometimes they come up in green and there is now a new British camo pattern called MTP which is much lighter than the DPM.

Anyhow, the windproof smock is just ripstop cotton and is not supposed to be water proof. However, I took to and washed the Nikwax wash in waterproofing for cotton into it and have been amazed at just how waterproof it has turned out. I spent several hours out in a thunderstorm a few months back and was sure that it must leak but it didn't. I also lay in a ditch and crawled about trying to get in on what I thought might be a deer but which turned out to be a hare! I expected this to force the water in but it didn't. I have also been out for full days in conditions of rain and then dry periods and still no leaks. Certainly performance beyond what I expected.

The pockets are ideal for using for stalking with 4 good button ones, with fold over flaps to stop things falling out, and also two big zip pockets ideal for keeping things like car keys and even putting the FAC in.

In case of really bad weather I have a German flectarn Gore-Tex jacket (£10) which I can always put on under the windproof smock which means I still keep all my pockets and the like but have a completely waterproof layer so the rain can't get in. Although this sounds a little odd I've found it to work well but in view of how waterproof the windproof smock has turned out to be it may not actually be necessary.

If you are decided on going the CC route then it might be worth thinking about buying the non-waterproof option and washing in some Nikwax type treatment. If that isn't waterproof enough for you then you could add the waterproof liner at a later date, or you could just buy a mil surplus Gore-Tex to wear underneath.

I use the stalking smock. Won't go anywhere else now. Good aftersales as well

Atb steve

Thanks Steve, do you use the waterproof liner at all?

don't know if this helps you but...

Of late for stalking and finshing (Including a wet day in the Hebrides at the end of last season) I've been wearing a mil surplus windproof smock, you can pick them up at a substantial saving over the CC/Arktis stuff on ebay and the like if you might want to save a few quid and try that route first. Sometimes they come up in green and there is now a new British camo pattern called MTP which is much lighter than the DPM.

Anyhow, the windproof smock is just ripstop cotton and is not supposed to be water proof. However, I took to and washed the Nikwax wash in waterproofing for cotton into it and have been amazed at just how waterproof it has turned out. I spent several hours out in a thunderstorm a few months back and was sure that it must leak but it didn't. I also lay in a ditch and crawled about trying to get in on what I thought might be a deer but which turned out to be a hare! I expected this to force the water in but it didn't. I have also been out for full days in conditions of rain and then dry periods and still no leaks. Certainly performance beyond what I expected.

The pockets are ideal for using for stalking with 4 good button ones, with fold over flaps to stop things falling out, and also two big zip pockets ideal for keeping things like car keys and even putting the FAC in.

In case of really bad weather I have a German flectarn Gore-Tex jacket (£10) which I can always put on under the windproof smock which means I still keep all my pockets and the like but have a completely waterproof layer so the rain can't get in. Although this sounds a little odd I've found it to work well but in view of how waterproof the windproof smock has turned out to be it may not actually be necessary.

If you are decided on going the CC route then it might be worth thinking about buying the non-waterproof option and washing in some Nikwax type treatment. If that isn't waterproof enough for you then you could add the waterproof liner at a later date, or you could just buy a mil surplus Gore-Tex to wear underneath.

Cheers caorach,
I have a few different surplus windproof smocks kicking about, the best being an old ventile smock but sadly it's seen better days.
I have used nikwax in the past on them with success & I agree the pocket mapping is great. However, I tend to use them more in the milder temps & I'm really looking for the additional details like vented sides, zipped napoleon chest pockets etc on the Country Covers stalking smock.

Cheers for the info

Rb

I dont have the liner as we dont see that much rain since i bought it. i wear a fleece underneath and this stays dry even if the coat gets a little wet. Will get the liner later in the year along with the falkland trousers.A word of warning I normally cant get things to fit me but the largest drowns even me with a layer or two underneath!!

i believe the stalking and field smocks are the same coat but the stalking smock has a camo net in the hood (i like) added pockets around the lower half (more than enough) and padded breast and elbows (i dont like)

ATB Steve

Last edited:
Thanks for that Steve, definitely worth trying before buying by the sounds of their sizing.
Hopefully there will be some deals around at the game fair too
Cheers
Rb

+1 on trying the size before you buy, i wear arktis clothing for work everyday and it has never let me down yet. the trousers are to warm in the summer months but apart from that i wouldnt change things, apart from the trousers would be better with a belt loop.not cheap but you get what you pay for.

Rigboot,

I've had my waterproof field smock for 18 months now. I've worn it for stalking, walking and fishing. Its a light weight garment with few frills. There's one large pocket across the front, half zip neck, adjustable hood and velcro cuffs - thats about it. I've worn it in some very heavy rain and have abused it a fair bit. Its been superb. Its not a heavy weight winter coat but its very good as a waterproof for spring and summer. I wear mine with a cheap whicking base layer, the Country Covers version of a Norwegian smock and field smock as an outer - ideal if you need to work a bit and surprisingly warm when standing still.

I'd buy another if I lost the one I've got.

Cheers,

Bob

Once again many thanks for the feedback gents,

Dovebob, the field smock sounds like a good shell type outer for layering underneath, i'd be using this for fishing aswell as stalking so sounds like a goods item to have especially being low profile with simple construction (great for under chest waders)

Taken onboard what you guys have said, just need to wait for the gamefair.

Cheers

Rb

Rigboot,

I wore mine under chest waders while fishing in Scotland a few weeks ago. It made a good wading jacket as it folds up small enough to stuff in a large waistcoat pocket. Its not as short as a wading jacket, but is a very good compromise if you want a light weight jacket for fishing and stalking.

Cheers,

Bob

Back