Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dropping on the Spot

Dropping on the Spot

I have read and seen numerous times that when a deer shot in the main part of the body 'drops on the spot' it is due to the bullet striking too high and causing a shock to the spine. Then, very often, the deer will get up and run away.

I have also read about people who heart/lung shoot deer which also drop on the spot (rather than being knocked/over off their feet), when in theory they are supposed to run a short was at least and then collapse.

How does that happen?

It happens because Deer cannot read books!

Re: Dropping on the Spot

Quote Originally Posted by snowstorm
    I have also read about people who heart/lung shoot deer which also drop on the spot (rather than being knocked/over off their feet), when in theory they are supposed to run a short was at least and then collapse.

How does that happen?
    It happens in exactly the same with people and just about any living thing that gets shot, once or several times. It is going to be down to the unfathomable variations of ballistics combined with the physiological and emotional state of the 'victim'.

Quote Originally Posted by 300wsm
    It happens because Deer cannot read books!
    totaly agree with wsm
    also if the deer is relaxed this also can contribute as there is no adrennelin rush

For Roe I have found that if a deer is standing slightly off and the bullet strikes in the ribs and travels forward and out in front of the opposite shoulder can have this effect of dropping on the spot. A preferred shot with a lighter rifle.

dropping on the spot

I have shot red, fallow roe and muntjac with my 270, 243, and in Scotland used a22,250 on roe. If the deer are alarmed and the adrenilan flowing they will run some distance depending as said in previous thread on balistics, body mass etc. However my 7 x 57mauser will drop them on the spot, slowish heavy bullet( 140gn partition) on trip to Scotland culling hinds I shot 43 in 7days allon the spot or just a stagger forward, except one, a roe which ran 10 - 13 yds. All were body shots. My little BSA Hunter was only £250 will shot into 1" all day long, and will never be sold. Ballistics, bullet performance, shot placement, body mass etc, all have apart, but the old 7 x 57 and the swede do it for me, I bought my other rifles before the BSA or it would be my sole rifle, but I won't put a moddy on it, it wasn't my first one, but I' d keep the others anyway, they all have a use. However ONCE we Brits did build great rifles, BSA rifles are built to look like a colonial firearm, my one traveled the world with its previous owner, went to Africa with me in May, did the job perfectly again.

I have found on roe that high heart shots drop them on the spot, while with a low heart shots they are more likely to run, normally they reach cover and drop with in 10 yrs of reaching it.

One theory I have heard is that with a high heart shot it sends a pulse wave of blood up the main artery to the brain cause instance black out and then death, whether this is true I donít know may be our vet could comment.

I have seen in one of the books for training deer dogs recommend taking low heart shots so that the deer runs a short way to train your dog on.

On roe I found that with a 243 no runners, but when using my 223 the number of runners did increase, no real surprise.

Early BSAs are super rifles a friend of mine has a 2/3 Majesticís including one in 7X57 which has a built in muzzle brake, people over here look at them like they do Parker Hales but they are a class above the PHs. Still a sort after rifle in NZ.

Best rgds

Hi Snowstorm
    This is what i have found with deer i have shot.
    I have noticed this more in Roe than other deer but it could just be me
    I have noticed that if a Roe has the slightest inclination that something aint quite rite before you actually shoot it then they seem to run before dropping, as if they have a sudden surge of adrenalin as stated in a post earlier.
    The last 1 i shot didnt have a bloody clue i was there & dropped on the spot to a heart shot. It could just be me but this is what ive noticed over the years.
    I have shot deer with various calibre rifles from .243 upto 30-06 & to be honest ive not really noticed that it makes any difference. like i said if the deer has seen you or suspects something could be just not rite then i have noticed it will run before dropping.

If a high heart shot is used it can cause massive trauma to the main blood vessels such as the aorta and vena cava, once this happens a almost instant drop in blood presure occurs followed by unconciousness and death. In a low heart or purely lung shot the haemorraging takes longer and therefore the animal can run, further if adrenalised.

I've also noticed the high heart shot drops em better.
    Paying close attention with shot placement on foxes this year I had one out of around 30 foxes run 50yds, all others stayed on the spot. The one that ran was not alerted and the 22-250 55gr Nos BT went perfectly through the heart. Just a bit lower than I'd normally shoot.
    Shot a sika staggie last year too far back but quite high, spine was intact and he just bowled over and was stone dead when I reached him a few seconds later. He was alerted, ran off and stopped for a look back. Maybe the 165gr sst just knocked him off his feet.
    I still believe one needs to shed the enegy inside of the animal. Whatever caliber one has one should find the optimum bullet and speed for the animal. Some bullets are just too tough and don't work well with slower speed calibers. Speed is the main cause for a bullet to open and then shed energy. My understanding is slow speed = soft bullet.