bleeding

Stevie/P

some stalkers say it is not necessary to cary out a thoraxic bleed on deer that have been shot in the heart any one agree.

some stalkers say it is not necessary to cary out a thoraxic bleed on deer that have been shot in the heart any one agree.

It varies on how much has bled out the exit wound really. Sometimes there's hardly anything left to come out, and sometimes there's a huge gelatinous mess of clotting blood in the chest cavity just waiting to slosh down the rear and mess up your nice clean carcass. For the time it takes to do isn't it worth trying a bleed before opening up the chest/diaphragm?

Alex

I think it is better to bleed the deer as soon as possible. ( with regards to roe , which can then be put in a roesack. )

Though bearing in mind, if the deer is to be extracted by dragging one wants to keep cuts to a minimum to reduce

contamination. In which case you would be better to bleed through the diaphragm, when you open up the stomach.

Rgds, Buck.

Last edited:
If you do as recomended after a shot and wait 10 or 15 mins before approaching the downed beast it is a complete waist of time.......

This has been done before with several different opinions, this is only mine....

As Alex has quite rightly pointed out it saves you swimming about in chest cavity blood.

when you go through the diaphragm to remove the heart and lungs if you have only completed a field green you larder will be in a right mess, it certainly does not do the meat any good leaving in swimming in blood.

Look at the way they work in a abattoir blood out soonest. .

i would add that for those whom dont bleed the beast before the gralloch must wash the inside out once back at the larder/store.
if you dont do this you will get almost instant contamination of the carcass by bacterial growth caused by the blood on the inside of the carcass.

if on the hill i dont bleed the animal but as stated always was the inside out soonest.
i only bleed when its a short carry, any dragging minimum size cuts...

thats my view.. f

I think from the strike and reaction you have a good idea what can and cant be followed up immediately..

Plus one for bleeding out immediately and if needed using your knife to ease any lumps out if they are present and pumping behind the diaphram makes for a much nicer carcass and cleaner time at the larder

Sorry guys im confusing Bleeding with tipping the blood out of the Thorasic cavity......

Always puzzles me when clients ask me do i bleed every deer....
YES is takes seconds, why not?? I cut there anyway to expose the pipes and tie them off/ cut.
If you do the same thing everytime it becomes second nature and good practice/ nothing is left or forgotten then.

Ok, so putting aside all issues such as meat quality, contamination, clean larder etc, what is the one thing that the act of sticking your knife in a recently shot deer ensure? JC

Ok, so putting aside all issues such as meat quality, contamination, clean larder etc, what is the one thing that the act of sticking your knife in a recently shot deer ensure? JC

i dont know JC but can you enlighten us....

each to his own and thats the rule.....
personally having dragged deer of the hill and when the buds and bits from heather stick inside the cavity and on the neck cuts, no its a minimum for me.....
If i had a roe sack i would bleed it dry and thats a fact too

f.

well you could say why even gralloch it, if you ignore all the above.

Sorry John, I didn't word the question very well, I'm not suggesting that you ignore those factors, just put them to one side for the time being.

What does cutting a deers throat or sticking it in the chest and watching the blood run out totally ensure?

(by the way, I aggree with you and bleed all the deer that I shoot)

JC

Sorry John, I didn't word the question very well, I'm not suggesting that you ignore those factors, just put them to one side for the time being.

What does cutting a deers throat or sticking it in the chest and watching the blood run out totally ensure?

(by the way, I aggree with you and bleed all the deer that I shoot)

JC

nothing except that the bloods out...
if you have left it long enough it will have congealed anyway and then you have to start poking prodding and wiggling the knife about.
4000 members and i think i have only heard of one/two lads who where allergic to blood or its contents..
what is the answer Jc.....

thats better to understand.
probably nothing at all.
it was the thing i was taught 24 years ago as the right normal thing to do. and after 100's of beasts going into the food chain never having a problem. I am not going to stop doing it unless someone can tell me theres a bigger advantage to NOT doing it on (nearly)every animal.
I will carry on and show people whats worked for me.
regards john

Surely it ensures that it is dead? How many stories have we all heard about the deer that was shot and was 'definitly' dead but it was gone when we went to collect it? If you have bled the animal, not only have you done the right thing from a meat hygiene point of view, but you have actually laid hands on it and ensured its dead. As John said, get a system, do it every time, be professional in what you do. JC

I cut there anyway to expose the pipes and tie them off/ cut.

^ As above!

Out of interest, those who don't make any sort of cut in the neck, how do you tie off the oesophagus?

It minimises the chances of the blood tainting other parts of the carcasses (even if the diaphragm is intact it will leach behind the shoulders more through the entry/exit holes). It helps to cool the chest cavity - the less warm stuff in there the better. When the diaphragm is removed it makes for a cleaner carcass if there is less liquid able to flow backwards. Obviously this can be mitigated by hanging head down etc.

That's not to say it's necessarily wrong not to, everyone has their own way which works based on their own circumstances, it just seems to me that if you are going to tie off the oesophagus you can make a single hole at the base of the neck and do the two jobs in one.

Alex

Back