Harkila Sporting Estate GTX 17 Boots?

Eric the Red

Has anyone owned a pair of these?
Any good or bad points?
And can anyone find them cheaper than £225.

What are the other options to these (Le Chameau Vatna, Musto Buckden etc.?) that may be better? My criteria are waterproof, good walking sole, warm, good fit, last well.

Thinking of these as a nicer option than Aigle Parcours ISO, Le Chameau Vierzonord etc.....

Many thanks

E t R

Just found this after posting a heads up in Equipment and accessories today.
I have a pair of Le Chamois Vatna and have had then for a few years now, they show no sign of wear but sometimes at the end of the day feel a little heavy.
In last weeks Shooting Times on page 116, Uttings are offering Harkila Sporting Estate 17" Boots at half price of £149.99.
I reckon they might be a little lighter than my Vatnas so at that price I reckon they are worth a punt and have gone ahead and ordered a pair.

Thanks Eddie.

I've now had a pair of LC Vatna's for some time and have been very pleased with them. I may still have a go at the Harkila's at some point.

crispi boots are excellent boots. either kananda or stegg ones are higer. but fantastic boots you wont be disapointed. put harkila to shame.

my brother had a pair of Harkila boots

fell to bits after 6 months...he was at the time using them full time rabbit control work....got another pair as part of warranty. same again after few months...the rubber lip on the front lifiting the sole splitting and water egress......ok maybe fine for amatauer stalker but he reckons their clothes good but boots are cack.
hes back to meindl and cant see past them

paul

Oh dear :rolleyes: thanks guys for all the 'positive' info ref the boots I've already ordered :rolleyes:
I don't want them for stalking, I want them for standing around in snow for driven Boar trips, so more standing keeping dry and warm than walking, so perhaps they will last a bit longer than the full time rabbiter ;)
I am hoping they will be a bit lighter than my Vatna boots because weight is everything at the airports these days.

Had them about 6 months now with a fair bit of use. So far very comfortable, always kept my feet dry and very light compared to my last pair of french boots. It was the weight that sold them to me and frankly if they last a year less than a heavier pair I won't really care because they are so comfortable, for me anyway.

I will bare in mind the point made by Sauer ref the front of the sole separating and at the first sign I will be atthe cobblers to get it glued back !!
That can always be a possibility with soles that are not stitched on so a good point to watch out for.

Simon,

The main problem with the Harkila Estate boot is that they look alarmingly camp - a sort of cross between the police motorcyclist from the Village People and fancy dress Nazi... Stick to the Le Chameau boots unless the above look is what you are aiming for, in which case they should be accessorised with a flamboyant cravat and a silver topped cane. The same definitely applies to anyone who wears a Tyrollean hat without being of Prusso-Swiss origins.

Be very suspicious of anyone claiming they are wearing the Harkila boots so as to be a little lighter in their loafers :-|

Happy to help anyone at risk of making a stalker's fashion faux pas :D

A.

Simon,

The main problem with the Harkila Estate boot is that they look alarmingly camp - a sort of cross between the police motorcyclist from the Village People and fancy dress Nazi... Stick to the Le Chameau boots unless the above look is what you are aiming for, in which case they should be accessorised with a flamboyant cravat and a silver topped cane. The same definitely applies to anyone who wears a Tyrollean hat without being of Prusso-Swiss origins.

Be very suspicious of anyone claiming they are wearing the Harkila boots so as to be a little lighter in their loafers :-|

Happy to help anyone at risk of making a stalker's fashion faux pas :D

A.
:thumb:
:rofl:

Well Simon, I hope you take note of the points mentioned by Adamant, he doesn't want you to have a pair of these boots so I hope his post has put you off.
Now to get down to the nitty gritty.
I have just received my boots, that was really excellent service from Uttings, ordered yesterday afternoon and delivered this morning, brilliant.
The soles are not stuck as I was lead to believe but have a fully stitched welt and look quite well done too.
I normally wear a size nine shoe but ordered a size nine and a half to allow for thick socks and have just tried them on, I know in this heat too !! and they fit a treat.
If I had paid the full rrp price I would still have been happy with my purchase but at the present price it is a steal.
As for weight, they are slightly under the weight of my LC Vatnas but not enough to make any difference at the airport however they will be a bit more fashionable at the local Polish, Croatian, Lithuanian, German, Czech or Hungarian discos and night clubs.:D

Last edited:
Back