RTA damage.

mj robson

Hi Guys,

I've been busy this week with the task of clearing out some old bucks, we've had 5 in the last 4 outings with 3 being old aged, one was a really old warrior that I took film of last year and is estimated to be at least 12 years old. He has a broken and healed nose plate, probably been in a few fights in his time!

Then last night we stalked into this nice malformed buck,

Image0157 by mj robson, on Flickr

On closer inspection it was clear he had damage going by the big lump above his eye.

DSC_0523 by mj robson, on Flickr

DSC_0525 by mj robson, on Flickr

DSC_0529 by mj robson, on Flickr

It's pedicle has been broken off and fused back on again.

Cheers,
Mark.

Whatever caused the the damage its been a hell of a break.It never fails to amaze me how much damage roe can live through over the years I have seen air rifle pellets shotgun pellets and rimfire rounds lodged in skulls.he must have had one hell of a headace and yet worst malform is on other antler. interesting pic

Do you have any photographs of the 12 year old, I would be interested to see them, as you are probably aware the longest known lifespan of a Roe in the wild is 16 years, very few Bucks will live to half that age.

In 40 odd years of stalking Roe the oldest confirmed Buck [tooth sectioned] I have seen was 9 years.

Mark, have you still got a jaw or usually thow them away? Would be interested to see the teeth.

Greg

Hi Guys,

Unfortunately I don't have any of the teeth as I've cut and cleaned the head. I took some pics today before I handed them over to the clients.

Here's the old boy, also note the puncture wound to his nose plate that has healed over again. He tipped the scales at Highland Game today at 22.3kg.

DSC_0539 by mj robson, on Flickr

DSC_0537 by mj robson, on Flickr

To get a comparison he is on the left of this lot, you can see how big his skull was. (a great 3 days stalking!:D )

DSC_0533 by mj robson, on Flickr

I have had a few very old bucks over the years, I have a gold medal (going back) which Alan Allison guessed to be at least 10 years old and he knows more about roe than most people!

Here is another very old buck we shot 4 years ago,

IMAG0032 by mj robson, on Flickr

Last night we shot another old buck which was going back (maybe 8-9 years old) it weighed in at 572g (wet) and should dry to make a nice bronze medal.
He had a huge bodyweight and has tipped the scales at Highland Game today at 23.2kg the heaviest buck they say they've had this year!!!

Image0162 by mj robson, on Flickr

DSC_0544 by mj robson, on Flickr

Cheers,
Mark.

Last edited:
Some good weights there, but thats the east coast for you, on the west side, most of my bucks[ thats mature Bucks] don't go over 15kg
clean weight, 18 Bucks last week heiviest 18.7 kg only 3 over 16 kg makes them easier to carry though:rofl:

I have a head just like that malform......

IMG_1688.jpg

and in velvet.....
DSC_0036-2.jpg

'M' you must have a w=very understanding wife if you get away with that in the house :eek: I have had three and none would have let me near the kitchen with heads.venison was allowed:!:

Back