How do you mount a skull to a shield?

groach1234

Right I have now bleached and cut my skull and its ready to be mounted to the shield. How is this best done? I have contemplated drilling a hole in the shield and making a resin ball in the back of the skull and screwing it in through the back of the shield to the resin in the skull. Also I could drill screws from the front in the small holes bellow the antlers or finally a super glue/no more nails type thing. What do you all do?

George

cut a small block of wood
then mix some car bodyfiller use the filler to hold the block of wood flush inside the skull.

screw from the rear of the plaque into the block.

For Roe I put a screw through the shield into the bridge of bone between the nasal cavity and brain cavity, works a treat and can be got nice and tight without breaking.

George, send me a PM with your address and I'll send you a mounting clip & shield FOC if you want them.

If you don't mind me adding a wee question George? What type of shield would you guys recommend for a full head mount? I'm just finishing bleaching my first skull as we speak :D

Well done with the buck btw George, I saw the write up on PW and it was a good read!

Shields can be bought in different shapes and sizes to suit your preference, I also think around cut from a tree trunk of the appropriate size makes a very acceptable shield, personally I like birch with the bark left on just sand and varnish.

Back