Wanted: Tuna and / Marlin off Majorca??

Daft Dog

Anyone been after big tuna / Marlin off Majorca.

I'm off there with the mrs and a couple of mates and we were thinking of giving it a go. Out there for a week at the end of August.

If you have any experiance and any contacts please pm me, especially if they are reasonable. The prices i've seen on the web are high (expected) so am after something a little less commercial but just as much fun.

Many thanks in advance

Jim

steve from the hunters cabin is on the site , he has just got back from his trip, and in the middle of planning to go out in july drop him a pm

gadget

Hi Jim,
Good luck with your endeavors but I think you are more likely to catch a good sun tan rather than any big fish. In the ten years that my inlaws lived there with myself and my wife going out approx 3 or 4 times a year I never saw any really large fish bought in. I thought it was a bit like Shark Fishing in Devon you can pay a lot of money but maybe dont catch a lot. Now the San Miguel, thats another thing we were out a few weeks ago and tried just a few.
Good luck mate,
John.

steve from the hunters cabin is on the site , he has just got back from his trip, and in the middle of planning to go out in july drop him a pm

gadget

Cheers for the heads up Gadget, i'll get in touch with steve.

Hope your well.

Jim

Hi Jim,
Good luck with your endeavors but I think you are more likely to catch a good sun tan rather than any big fish. In the ten years that my inlaws lived there with myself and my wife going out approx 3 or 4 times a year I never saw any really large fish bought in. I thought it was a bit like Shark Fishing in Devon you can pay a lot of money but maybe dont catch a lot. Now the San Miguel, thats another thing we were out a few weeks ago and tried just a few.
Good luck mate,
John.

Cheers John, Hope your well. I'll be honest, i'm a little sceptical but i think it'll be a good day out, even if we don't land a monster - at least we can ogle the women on the deck whilst supping chilled beer. Part of the reason why i don't want to go with one of the main commercial units out there, i know there are no garentees in sport, which is why i'd rather not pay top dollar for the chance (tight arse!!).

Take care, hopefully catch up with the Herefordshire/Shropshire lot again sometime.

Jim

I,ve tried it so have a few of my mates the biggest thing we caught would have been used as bait in Kenya!!!!
you pays your money and takes your chance , led to believe they catch one occasionally but they see them off scarborough occasionally as well!!!!!!

There's probably others who will know the big game scene in Majorca much better than me but I'd be sceptical about marlin, there may well be swordfish (seldom if ever caught trolling) and there will be some tuna species but there's no great record of marlin catches in the Med. If you want marlin you need to get into the Atlantic, the Canaries and the Azores are both big game hotspots with blue marlin, bluefin tuna and mako shark of over 1,000lbs having been caught plus there are the other species like wahoo and a variety of other tuna species, principally big eye, that are there aplenty.

What is not generally known is that one of the biggest blue marlin ever caught was caught from Vilamoura on the Algarve coast of Portugal a few years ago.

VilamouraMarlin.jpg

Paul K is right, that fish was about 1500lbs if i remember. The chap who caught it was Vince somebody i think. I believe he has since passed away. I fished off one of his boats years ago. Tjhere was a fibre glass replica of the fish in existance at one time.

Still whatever happens a nice day out on the boat with a few cold ones is hardly unpleasant.

I have also fished in the Canaries with mixed success, but at times some real monsters are landed. An old friend of mine was the first Canarian to own his own big game boat, Him and a German fella took two 900lb plus bluefins at the same time. One at each end of the boat and both were landed.

Back