Harvest time????

Monkey Spanker

How early is the harvest going to be this year???:confused:
We've now got golden barley in the fields around here now with all this dry sunny weather!
I doubt if the grains are too big though. Could be a strange year if the combines start working soon eh?
MS:)

A chap down your way reckoned he could be cutting by the end of june , god knows what the cost of corn will be

think he could be right probably end of june, one of the gamekeeper i know has been quoted £250 a ton now, so will probably be more later on

We normally sell for November and as it stands its 172.50 pounds per ton for 2011 crop.
thought we were gonna start early last year but ended up starting around the same time as it took for Eva to dry but neva know things could be different this year

Heard a report a couple of weeks ago that said without substantial rainfall soon, lack of ear developement would meen less than 50% of a normal harvest weight could be expected.

Barley well in ear down here and saw some golden barley on route to devon last night. Wheat farmers v worried on salsibury plain debatable if there will be anything to combine, but at this rate with straw being in so short supply it may be worth more than the grain.

As for rain we only had 25mm in the last two months and things are looking quite worrying.

OSR on the other hand is looking excellent, ours normally comes off last week of July, which wont be soon enough as we have a set of fox cubs to sort and they are in a rape field at present.

D

Gents

We do need rain badly out south of Salisbury, its been like the bloody desert for 2 months & I am worried about game covers going back again, most of ours seem to be doing OK but we could just do with a good old dose of overnight rain every few days!

Regs Lee

Very dry spring,so plenty of rabbits about,They love game crops when they started to come through,weve had plenty of rain lately and the game grops are looking good now.will worry about the price of grain when the time comes,Looks like it could be a very good year for wild game also.
Atb John.

Out here, those on the swamps who can keep the water in the dykes high are doing very well. Those on the heavy land are hanging on but those on the light land are in real trouble. The last light land farmer I spoke to said that enough rain to make a difference would be too late to help and may even make things worse. Many of my friends and my clients are farmers and without exception, they are all predicting tough times ahead - both for themselves and the rest of us.

Game-wise, the long snow thinned out the wild populations so I'm seeing a little less of everything but the losses seem to have been in the weak and old. Consequently, what is left (also thanks to the dry weather) is in really good condition.

What is also noticeable is the apparent reduction in the insect population here on the marshes. At this time of the year, the mosies should be thick enough to walk on but I've just come in with literally pints of blood left in me. Anyone else noticing this?

Well, they cut the first Barley next door to my village yesterday!:eek: It's normally quite early here, but that is good going!
MS:)

We will see round here Yorkshire show week normally winter barley on south facing slopes gets cut but on the flat land we still seem to be a week or two off so thats about normal. last weekend I noticed all the rape swathing machines were out of the contractors shed and ready to go.
Hopefully some will be out the way before roe rut starts

whole farm is OSR as we are part of a large farming company farming 8,ooo acres looks good and they havent even desicated it yet ,nice to get it off before birds come even better if they drill it all too .they can usually do my 500 acres in just over a day with 2 combines with 40 ft headers .:cool:

It will not be early here barley is high and strong just turning gold a few weeks yet one of the wettest summers i can remember.

Last year they cut barley on July 9th. I heard some barley was cut on Sunday eve (3rd). On my ground they were hoping to get going on the rape on 14-15th July but we have just had 20 mm rain this week and i dont thinf it has been sprayed off. Its v tall and looks good at present. We have t least one litter of foxes in one inaccesible field, so have 2 days A/L booked in eager anticipation.

D

Back