Loading SST 150grains in 308 with vN140 - Load info?

newkid

Hi Guys

I am about to reload the above 150gr for my 308 into Sako and Lapua brass using vN140 with CCI match primers.

I have the Lee and Speer Manuals but neither appears to very specific on this powder as a standard 308 load.
On this and other forums, and advice from a number of friends who know, this is a classic 308 powder.

Can anyone assist in telling me where the best N140 data is located and the best starting point for a Win 308 SS 20" barrel?

All advice gratefully received.

Newkid

Hi Guys

I am about to reload the above 150gr for my 308 into Sako and Lapua brass using vN140 with CCI match primers.

I have the Lee and Speer Manuals but neither appears to very specific on this powder as a standard 308 load.
On this and other forums, and advice from a number of friends who know, this is a classic 308 powder.

Can anyone assist in telling me where the best N140 data is located and the best starting point for a Win 308 SS 20" barrel?

All advice gratefully received.

Newkid

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/showthread.php?22827-First-home-loads-.308

I did not use match primers though.

Greg

PS. You are in wrong section...

My barrel is standard but the starting loads won't be miles out.

Looking back at my shooting log, my development for Hornady SST (#30302) 150gr .308Win:

Neck re-sized R-P brass, CCI primers, Length to ogive 57.54mm (NOT OAL!). Started at 43.7 grains VV N140, worked up to 47gr in increments. No pressure signs at 47gr.

My best groups were 1.171inch (centre to centre) using 46gr and 1.0635 using 47 gr. Shot at 185yds (this is the max at my local range.) Needless to say, your rifle will have different preferences and you must start light and work up.

If you aren't getting the velocity you want in the 20" barrel with N140 you could experiment with a slightly faster powder (http://www.reloadbench.com/burn.html)

Be safe,

Xav

I use the SST 150's with 42.5gn N140 and Lapua brass (Fed match primers) and took the data from the Nosler No5 book. The SST is close to Nosler Ballistic tip so far as I can tell. 42.5 is pretty mild but can get half MOA on a good day.

I use the SST 150's with 42.5gn N140 and Lapua brass (Fed match primers) and took the data from the Nosler No5 book. The SST is close to Nosler Ballistic tip so far as I can tell. 42.5 is pretty mild but can get half MOA on a good day.

I'm doing much the same with mine. Works well. :thumb:

I prefer the SST to the nosler ballistic tip :

The InterLock™ Ring

Ensures the core and jacket remain locked solid during expansion, so the SST retains the mass and energy needed for dramatic wound channels. Perfected in the famous Hornady InterLock hunting bullet.

Hornady's 7th Edition Reloading Manual shows 45.8 gr of N140 as the max load. This gives an average muzzle velocity of 2,750 fps in my 22.5" barrelled T3 with no signs of pressure and excellent accuracy. I use CCI 200 primers and Sako/Norma brass.

Brian

Back