Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wild Venison

Wild Venison

Would you say wild venison is "organic meat"?

Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    Would you say wild venison is "organic meat"?

Even though one of my estates is completely organic, I would not class it as such as an animal could have been anywhere and eating anything!

Last edited by 6pointer; 29-05-2011 at 22:38.

No. If it wanders from organic to non organic it cannot be regarded as organic.
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by 6pointer View Post
    It depends we it comes from mate no doubt some gets into the food chain from an unknow or dodgy soarse .But in the main in scotland i would say it is a very good organic meat.
    I would agree with you 6p on the Reds and possibly Roe way beyond Inverness but I am with MS and basil that the vast majority of deer are not organic

The problem with 'Organic' meat is that unless it is raised on organically certificated land then it can't be called organic.But,most of the deer that 6 pointer is talking about would be eating from land that could be certificated as organic,but,until it has been registered and then treated as organic for 2 yrs it can only be called organic then.It's a bit like BASC and the DSC1&2 but these are the Soil Association

Not a chance , if its wild wheres it been feeding ?

I would even go as far as to say that deer may even be less organic than domestic livestock in certain areas. Livestock will not be allowed anywhere near a sprayed field for a certain amount of time, whereas deer can be munching on it shortly after!

Scottish hill Reds are probably the nearest to organic as you will get.
    There is a place on this planet for all of God's creatures, right next to my tatties and gravy!!!

Agreed, but I tend to think the whole organic thing is nonsense