Wild Venison

It depends we it comes from mate no doubt some gets into the food chain from an unknow or dodgy soarse .But in the main in scotland i would say it is a very good organic meat.;)

I would agree with you 6p on the Reds and possibly Roe way beyond Inverness but I am with MS and basil that the vast majority of deer are not organic

The problem with 'Organic' meat is that unless it is raised on organically certificated land then it can't be called organic.But,most of the deer that 6 pointer is talking about would be eating from land that could be certificated as organic,but,until it has been registered and then treated as organic for 2 yrs it can only be called organic then.It's a bit like BASC and the DSC1&2 but these are the Soil Association rules.....lol

I would even go as far as to say that deer may even be less organic than domestic livestock in certain areas. Livestock will not be allowed anywhere near a sprayed field for a certain amount of time, whereas deer can be munching on it shortly after!;)
MS:)

OK, so let's turn this around then!:stir:
Can a farm claim to be 'organic' if it has large herds of transient wild deer running through it?! As well as very tight restrictions on organic farm contamination, there is a certain requirement for 'buffering' between organic farms and neighboring conventional farms. So what if a herd of 40-50 Fallow have just trashed my recently sprayed with insecticide turnip field, then stray onto your pristine organic wheat field and trample pesticide through it whilst Shitting and ****ing chemicals all over. How's your organic status now then?!!!:eek:
I'm not allowed to drive from one non-organic farm onto the next adjacent for fear of contamination, yet I know of a large amount of Fallow that do! (except they don't drive obviously!:rolleyes:)
MS:D

OK, so let's turn this around then!:stir:
Can a farm claim to be 'organic' if it has large herds of transient wild deer running through it?! As well as very tight restrictions on organic farm contamination, there is a certain requirement for 'buffering' between organic farms and neighboring conventional farms. So what if a herd of 40-50 Fallow have just trashed my recently sprayed with insecticide turnip field, then stray onto your pristine organic wheat field and trample pesticide through it whilst Shitting and ****ing chemicals all over. How's your organic status now then?!!!:eek:
I'm not allowed to drive from one non-organic farm onto the next adjacent for fear of contamination, yet I know of a large amount of Fallow that do! (except they don't drive obviously!:rolleyes:)
MS:D

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: Brilliant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi there i process and sell all our own venison and we found that wild is more appealing than organic and is its correct title ,
i think if you try saying it is organic this some how refers to it having been farmed ,and as people have already said you do not know what they have been eating ,
stick to wild and public will buy plenty !
all the best
Tom

Organic farming seems to have huge margines of tolerance towards what is fed, next door to me they have "organic" cattle but bring loads of silage into the farm to feed the cattle from a farm which is not organic. What's that all about, and yes it's legal.

But is your winter feed (carrots and such) organic
Thats why I said AS NEAR to organic. Only a fraction of scottish herds come to winter feed.

We feed up to 120 stags out of a combined herd of 600 head, using those numbers more than three quarters of the herd dont come to winter feeding making them as good as 100% organic.

our tennant farmer is certified organic, what a joke that is.

Hi there i process and sell all our own venison and we found that wild is more appealing than organic and is its correct title ,
i think if you try saying it is organic this some how refers to it having been farmed ,and as people have already said you do not know what they have been eating ,
stick to wild and public will buy plenty !
all the best
Tom

I reckon, for marketing purposes Tom's post clinches the award for "Best Answer", especially when you consider that, to make a bit of a generalisation, the people who buy your venison are more likely to be au fait with the whole Organic thing and would likely "pull you up" if you described it as such.

Back