Light Weight Rain Jacket

jamross65

Can anyone recommend a lightweight and breathable waterproof jacket for summer stalking, in the event the weather turns for the worse?

Any number of good jackets for winter stalking, but far too warm for July/August/September.

Thanks.

CS95 DPM goretex from HM Queen and Sons. £15 from any surplus shop or sign on the dotted line and get one free. No pockets and noisy but ideal to bung in your roesack in case of a storm. JC

Many will be getting sick of me saying this but...

If you don't mind the colours some mil surplus stuff is very good and inexpensive enough that you don't mind crawling in a ditch or damaging it. I've found that the British army DPM windproof smock is ideal for stalking - it isn't designed to be waterproof but with the Nikwax wash in waterproofing I have found it to be surprisingly waterproof. Mine will do 2 hours in heavy rain with no leak, I've never experienced longer than 2 hours of solid rain while wearing it. It is very breathable, not at all warm, robust and inexpensive. I watched a new one recently on ebay go for £7 but you do see buy it now prices around the £15 - £30 region.

If heat is a problem for you then the new MTP cammo coloured british windproof smock is said to be dyed with a special dye which reflects heat and so keeps soldiers cool in the areas of the world they are currently working. If heat is a big problem for you then this sort of "active cooling" might be a big advantage for you. These are available on ebay, the prices are variable at the minute but I've seen them go for £25 though many make nearer £50 at present. The new fabric for the windproof smock is somewhat "softer" than the older DPM smocks and this makes it quieter when pushing through bushes and trees. The MTP pattern looks quite light and I don't have a lot of experience of it in practise but my feeling is that it will work well for most stalking.

I find the pockets on both versions of the windproof smock ideal for stalking and suited to both a left or right handed person.

If you want 100% waterproof then the german flecktarn Gore-Tex jacket is available on ebay for £15ish and is very lightweight, not at all what you might expect from mil surplus. The German sizes tend to be quite neat so you might need to order a size larger than normal. I would wear it under my windproof smock on a cold and wet winter day, so I keep my normal pocket layout and don't need to move stuff around but am 100% waterproof should I ever find conditions that cause the smock to leak.

If you don't fancy the inexpensive but somewhat unfashionable options then I have a lightweight Musto Gore-Tex coat printed with a "tweed like" pattern. These coats were about £400 but I don't think they sold too well and so are available at highly discounted prices. They are light and not too warm. I wear mine for September hill stalking for stags where the army cammo pattern might not be as acceptable and it is good for this. I don't think the Musto would be as robust as the mil surplus stuff and I don't find the pocket arrangement quite so handy.

I cannot but agree with the comments made above.

However there are some alternatives;

Arktis do a waterproof and breatheable liner (£50) to go underneath their stalking jacket, so buy one and use the basic MOD SAS smock which has been nikwaxed, and if it turns nasty put the liner on too!

The next one is for if you don't like camo gear, the Harkila mountain grouse jacjet, they are about perfect.

Simon

I've got a lightweight chuckover that I boght from Cabelas a couple of years ago - just right for when the weathers is "changeable"....it always comes with me when pigeoning early/later on in the year, stuffs down into its own pocket.

I've also got another Cabela's waterproof that is uber-thin, but stuffs down into summat the size of a coke can - that certainly wouldn't be classed as 'robust', but does make for a waterproof layer that can go in your bag and be forgotten about - I've also got the keks in the same type of material. Not silent, but will keep you dry.

(I'll find out what they're called and add it later).

Some good ideas already, but for my two centsworth, have a look at the Country Covers Field Smock. If you search on here you'll find it referred to in a few posts by others and me.

Light weight, no frills, quiet, versatile (I wear mine as a wading jacket when fishing), robust and so far (after 18 months) very waterproof.

Worth a look.

Cheers,

Bob

Can anyone recommend a lightweight and breathable waterproof jacket for summer stalking, in the event the weather turns for the worse?

Any number of good jackets for winter stalking, but far too warm for July/August/September.

Thanks.
If the weather turns worse in NW S cotland its an ark you will need ,.not a new jacket. We have had rain every day for over the last 2 weeks:rolleyes: I have a Paramo smock that I really rate. However it is not so good for crawling about in but excellent for woodland stalking.

I've got the seeland lingfield jacket, quite lightweight and waterproof and not a lot of money, ideal when it looks like there might be a chance of rain.

Deerhunter game stalker jacket or smock, quiet and wind and w/proof and lightweight, another option would be a pouncho

hi just loined my self and want to say hi and gather alot of interesting info which there is so thanks
derek

Came across this jacket that actually looks okay for the money. A Seeland Lingerfield. For sale in some places for about £65. Some are selling at £20 above that. Anyone on here any experience with that particular one?

Thats the one I mentioned looks good any where and is windproof and so far waterproof. Ideal as a spring/summer/early autumn coat where you don't want anything too warm. Onced washed they benefit from reproofing to keep the water beading off. For £65 can't knock it.

hi i did not have much look with the trousers to this jacket where easly torn on brambles and fences also made a noise :rolleyes:

Thats the one I mentioned looks good any where and is windproof and so far waterproof. Ideal as a spring/summer/early autumn coat where you don't want anything too warm. Onced washed they benefit from reproofing to keep the water beading off. For £65 can't knock it.

Should have read the posts properly....:rolleyes:

Back