Lying Buck.

hi sorry if im out of order as a total novice but was a head or neck shot out of the question ? if he was stead fast until you where very close .
sorry again but was it not possible to get up a tree and improve you trajectory veiw of him maybe get the chest shot that way ?
im bet im showing im inexperianced and over keen arnt i ?

Its not unheard of for sheep or ibex hunters to get pinned down on a mountainside for 6 hours waiting for a chance to sneak into range for a shot at a trophy. With those, allowing yourself to be seen by any member of a group in any way will surely cause them to run over the next mountain offering no chance of a shot, so I suppose how long you wait depends on how much you want it...

I was watching a laying buck last weekend, about 125 yds out. Just a little yearling spiker/murder buck..watched him for about 20 minutes, and even though he was actually on the cards for being culled (the last of the yearling cull in fact), I stood up and kept stalking. He looked up, watched me keep walking past him, stayed there, and when I was about 300 yds away, he just went back to sleep - cheeky bugger!

.anyway, made me chuckle, and realise we can have laugh in the field without shooting anything, so I trundled back to the car and listened to the ducks coming in on the pond in the dark...

If there are two of you leave the man with the rifle in position for the shot, you move to the side, find a sapling a or bush and give it a shake. Buck stands up facing the shaking tree, perfect broadside shot
Al

10/10 for not shooting the buck.

I don't know how good a shot your friend is, but a head shot on his first deer is risky. Buck fever might kick in, and you could be left with an injured deer, that takes hours to find and dispatch.

I would never shoot a deer that is lying on the ground unless it is seen to be injured.

I presume you were close enough to take the shot and that his rifle was capable of inch groups at 100 yards so why not just shoot him in the head or in the neck if you wanted the head for a trophy .. Rob

Tried the Bark first. I can't help but wonder if he was deaf. I'll check him once I have got him. If I'd been on the back of the boom-stick I'd have taken the shot from our elevated viewing point but as it was his first stalk I felt he should do it right.

Interested how your going to find out if he was deaf after you have shot him:)

I presume you were close enough to take the shot and that his rifle was capable of inch groups at 100 yards so why not just shoot him in the head or in the neck if you wanted the head for a trophy .. Rob

Old thread I know but only just saw this and similar questions. He was nervous of missing with his first shot from his new rifle. It grouped well and with heavy grain bullets he was probably not going to loose much if it hit some of the taller grass bits but he wanted to be sure. I suspect a miss would have been nerves. Being now in the exact same position of new unchristened rifle I have to ask myself would I take that shot. I am unsure. Lets hope I don't have to decide.

Back