The dull knife, (& how to deal with it).

My brother uses a powered sharpener like this. Works very well for as long as the blade lasts. I told him if I ever saw him taking one of my good hunting knives through it I would feed him to the crows. I have an assortment of good quality stones and like to hand sharpen my hunting/pocket knives. I have a belt-type cutlery sharpener for kitchen knives. It's the way to do it, that's for sure.~Muir

A friend told me...

When you are completely lost and alone in the wilderness, find a comfy spot sit down and start to sharpen your knife.
There will appear, as if by magic, someone to tell you that you do not sharpen it correctly.....

I use a LANSKY system, makes it quite easy to get a very sharp edge.

ATB
Daz

just get a Mora at less than a tenner a chuck, when it starts to get dull, go buy another one !

I sometimes forget how rabbit fur can remove the sharpest edge in quick time, but on a day like today,(a reloading day), I think I will enjoy getting a keen edge back on a couple of knives.

My brother uses a powered sharpener like this. Works very well for as long as the blade lasts. I told him if I ever saw him taking one of my good hunting knives through it I would feed him to the crows. I have an assortment of good quality stones and like to hand sharpen my hunting/pocket knives. I have a belt-type cutlery sharpener for kitchen knives. It's the way to do it, that's for sure.~Muir

I can use and have Stones, Lansky etc and the Chefs choice gets as good or better results and the metal removal is no more than on the Lansky. Cant find fault with it.

Dave

I've used loads of sharpeners over the years but always return to a Sharpening Steel - - thousands of Butchers can't be wrong !
I give the knife a swipe or two before every stalk - - it works for me.

JR

I deliberated long and hard before buying one of these, if you read the reviews they are split about 50:50 between those that say they are the best thing since sliced bread and those that say they are instruments of the devil!

I sent mine back almost imeadiatly, the magnets were nowhere near strong enough to hold the blades at the correct angle (or consistantly at any angle for that matter).

Its a bit of a mystery why some people seem to get on with them and some don't as sucess or failure is not really down to any skill on the users part. Maybe the machines themselves vary?

One thing I would say is that, despite the claims that this is the first choice of professional chefs etc, I have never seen one in any pro kitchen.

I got mine from Amazon who have a great returns procedure so that made it a bit less of a gamble.

I now have a set of Japanese water stones from Axminster Tools, its early days yet, and there is certainly a fair amount of skill required to get the best out of them but I am optimistic about the long term results.

JC

Last edited:
lol, I wasn't aware it had magnets! The Chefs (45 years experiance between the two of them) I work with gave me their knives they had writen off because they could no longer get an adge on them. They were amazed how good they were when they got them back.

Dave

stones for me.
water stones and carborundum depedning on the knife.

use a diamond steel for quick jobs.

anything that involves dragging the blade across two opposing edges is not for me, once saw a chap use a microscope on the edge after using one......looked like someone had hacked chunks out of it!

stones for me.
water stones and carborundum depedning on the knife.

use a diamond steel for quick jobs.

anything that involves dragging the blade across two opposing edges is not for me, once saw a chap use a microscope on the edge after using one......looked like someone had hacked chunks out of it!

Try the old trick of using binos the wrong way round as a microscope and examine the edge like that, It can be quite scary, a couple of mine look like they've been deliberatly rounded smooth!
JC

+1 for the Lansky system. Easy to use, and always gives a nice edge....

Agree that you should`nt let your blades go blunt though, as usually you only find out you need to sharpen it on the day you shoot a bag full....

nowt wrong with a good lump of Yorkshire sand stone & a blob of spit, to thin the edge of a blade. Finished on a good steel. Now thats a razor edge done right. ;) Quality of the steel ya sharpening helps also.

nowt wrong with a good lump of Yorkshire sand stone & a blob of spit, to thin the edge of a blade. Finished on a good steel. Now thats a razor edge done right. ;) Quality of the steel ya sharpening helps also.

Didn't think there was any stone left on Chevin?

+1 for the Lansky system. Easy to use, and always gives a nice edge....

Agree that you should`nt let your blades go blunt though, as usually you only find out you need to sharpen it on the day you shoot a bag full....

Lansky,

canny go wrong.

Back