Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Latest Boar

Latest Boar

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	06-10-2010 12;06;15 PM.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	301.1 KB 
ID:	7135I had a guy contact me around 6 months ago to ask about shooting boar and we arranged for him to come up from Manchester for one night last week , we met at 8pm and headed off to one of my seats that the boar had been feeding at. We got settled in around 8.30pm on a wet and windy night i was holding the rifle and planned to set up the night vision and pass it to Brian if a boar came out,everything was quiet and by 10.30 i was getting a bit doubtfull and started to have a look around straight away i could see a single male standing off to our right, so slowly gave the rifle to Brian who couldnt see him ,he had gone but without any alarm grunt or sound i thought he would return
    11.30pm Brian started to scan around the feeding area and gave me a nudge to confirm our boar had come back ,Brian got a shot off quickly but no noise after it worried me slightly as we usually hear feet kicking or a bit of movement ,but we waited 10 miutes before going to look to find this nice sized boar lying stone dead
    Well done Brian good result on a first attempt
    I have added a picture of my mate Allan with a boar he shot around 4 or 5 years ago , i saw one similar size to this at my seat last year and as far as i know he is still around

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pig.JPG 
Views:	230 
Size:	92.7 KB 
ID:	7106Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pig 2.JPG 
Views:	136 
Size:	91.4 KB 
ID:	7113
    Last edited by Solwaystalker; 31-05-2011 at 18:40.
    Zeiss Pro Stalker and Agent for Starlght Night Vision

Hi Colin hope you 've still left one for me !!!

Hi Nigel
    you would have liked this one he was over 85kg
    have to get the wife to sort pics i need em made smaller before i can post em

Get them posted i look forward to seeing them sounds like you had a good night !!!

now that's a serious pig!

Thats a MONSTER!! 85kg - wouldn't fancy having to shift that!!
    Nice 1 Colin & Brian!

Nice beast. How do you sex the animal with nv? What sort of distance and kit took him ?

Atb Steve

He was shot at 50 meters with my 308 using 150grn ballistic tip nv is a starlight archer
    add- on which goes on my zeiss 6-24x56 I watch them often to see what is feeding,but
    at this time of year a lone pig is usually a male and pretty obvious , i make sure i have identified
    the sex before any shot is taken , i usually have 2 nv,s so that i can instruct what to shoot
    but one is being repaired at the moment

Thanks . I ask as I saw 5 the other night around 300 yards away . I suspect they were last years young . What feed do u put out.

Atb Steve

A group of 5 is likely to be as you say and probaly a sow hanging around there aswell
    i have seen two,s and three,s in last years young males but never as many as 5
    I put out maize meal most of the time and feed an area for 6 weeks at least with pigs
    feeding before we shoot anything that way they see it as a safe area ,if you shoot straight
    away you will just scare them off. I have one seat i have used for over 2 years and still have pigs there
    as we have been carefull how often and what we shoot