Sako extractor conversion on a Rem 700

Milligan

Hi,

Has anyone had their rem 700 extractor converted to the Sako type recently and could you provide a rough idea of cost?

Not looking for a debate on why rem use heat treated paper clips or advice to sell it and buy a Sako. :D

Cheers,

Will

I had Border barrels do mine I think cost was £130 not sure though. Give lee at border a quick line and I am sure he will give you an up to date quote.

Dave

I have no personal experience of this job but I have been told that Niel McKillip of Basingstoke is very good at this.
I have no idea of his price or even if I have spelt his name correctly but I have seen his work on another persons rifle and that person was pleased with the result.

Give Mike Norris a call at Brock & Norris. Some gunsmiths will just cut the extractor in, but Mike will do other bits like check the head spacing and adjust the bolt as necessary, all for the same price as others. Think he currently charges about £120.
Dave at Valkerie Rifles will also do it but charges £175 !!!!

Will,

If Neil McKillop does it then I am sure it will be a cracking job. He has threaded two Sauers for me in the past, including re-fitting the front open sight behind the new thread. He is based about 10 mins from Basinstoke on the Reading road. He posts on the AGBBS under the nick Dasherman.

P.s. you going to the steels with Caterham in July?

Kyle

richard pope can also do things like this. give him a bell he is very very good at what he does. and cost wise is better then most

I have had a Rem done with this conversion - my advice is dont bother.

The standard extractor works very well and if it every fails, its a £10 and thirty second job to replace it.

Even the older rivetted ones take less than five mins to replace...

The rifle I had done, now throws brass onto the side of the windage turret on every extraction -

My job was done by a well respected smith and done correctly.....

Will,

If Neil McKillop does it then I am sure it will be a cracking job. He has threaded two Sauers for me in the past, including re-fitting the front open sight behind the new thread. He is based about 10 mins from Basinstoke on the Reading road. He posts on the AGBBS under the nick Dasherman.

P.s. you going to the steels with Caterham in July?

Kyle

Most certainly am going in July. How you getting on with the AR? Or is that a compromising question on this forum... :D

Last edited:
Thanks for all the input guys. I've applied some thought to it and will probably just leave it as is for now.

On reflection I want a longer barrel on it and in reality I can either keep modding the Rem (Lipstick on a pig one might say) or just sell it and buy a Sako 85 with a 1:8 twist 23" barrel... which is what I should have done in the first place.

I have T3 with a 1in8 twist. I'd swop it for a remmy any day.
Went out foxing two nights ago and took the 243 remmy because
the 223 T3 isn't shooting right. I noticed that in the dark the safety of
the remmy is much easier to recognise or feel on which position she is.
Tikka and sako normally make good rifles but theyr'e not perfect.
edi

Back