Thread: Injured leg opposing antler affect

Injured leg opposing antler affect

Just courious as to why it is that when a front leg of a stag or buck is injured that the affect if any is to the opposite antler. Any one with a sutible understanding of deer anatomy/biology care to explain what exactly the cause is?

I take it roughly that the blood cells/subsiquent growth to one antler is diverted/substitued to the injured leg to promote healing/bone growth/regeneration?

Came across Fallow Buck with a hugely swollen foot due to infection looked much like mud fever, leg was held up no longer weight bareing. Did not notice much variation in antler growth though.

This is called a contralateral deformity and I suspect it is caused by a crossover of the central nervous system.
    I have shot specimens of different species over the years with similar problems.
    Below is a picture of a rear leg and the antlers of a Roebuck.
    This beast was very lame and had an old healed injury on a back leg on the opposite side to the curious antler.

Young Sika stag with part of its left rear leg missing.

Roebuck with a badly broken but healed right rear leg.
    The beast was lame but was in good general condition otherwise.

My brother shot a mature Fallow Buck when we were stalking in sussex 2 years ago with a damaged back leg, the antler on the oppisite side to the bad leg was just a spike while the other was large, heavy and well palmated, would have made some trophy if they were both the same.

To me THAT head would have been a wonderful `trophy`.
    A curious memory of a special day.
    The country has scores of large trophy bucks but very few like the one you mentioned.

My comments were in no way to say that it was not a wonderful trophy as we both had never taken a mature fallow Buck (the animal in question is on the Viscount stalking gallery, its melinistic), i took and old malform last year which i would love to have caped but the capes on these mature animals in the rut are well marked with fighting, it is also on his gallery. The second year my brother took a pricket from the same high seat with a recently damaged back leg just above the hoof.

a cross over of the nervous system would seem like a logical explaination to the occourence. I was just curious if there was a hard and fact answer, well now I know.

Excellent heads there stag1933. I've never shot anything with a deformed head, no doubt one day I'll coem across something though.