Thread: Recent stalking/deer books

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)

Recent stalking/deer books

Anyone else read the new book from Duff Hart-Davis, Among The Deer?

It recounts his experiences of stalking in both Scotland and England. As stalking reminiscences go it is pretty good - I found a few familliar names in amongst his stories!

In a similar vein, has anyone read John Fletcher's fascinating history of deer parks (Gardens of Earthly Delight)?

If not, I'd definitely recommend it, whether or not you are "into" deer parks. It certainly whetted my apetite to go visit some deer parks!

O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks Dom,
    Nice to have some recommendations for upcoming (not straight away) Birthday list.

I recently ordered the Duff Hart-Davis book and am looking forward to reading it. Review

Not a stalking book but one involving flyfishing is called The Snowfly by Joseph Heywood, excellent read.
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

I was halfway through John Fletchers excellent new book but got a bit distracted by a couple of ebay purchased books, going back to it now. Very good to see a book that is both a detailed reference book and a good read too. I reckon John knows a thing or two about deer. I thought about bidding for the D H-D book on the BDS auction but several people had the same idea! JC

Just started the Fletcher book, which I picked up at the weekend. Enjoyable and informative so far.
    "Imagine you're a deer. You're prancing along, you get thirsty, you spot a little brook, you put your little deer lips down to the cool clear water... BAM! A f**kin bullet rips off part of your head! Your brains are laying on the ground in little bloody pieces! Now I ask ya. Would you give a f**k what kind of pants the son of a bitch who shot you was wearing?"

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    Anyone else read the new book from Duff Hart-Davis, Among The Deer?
    Thanks for the tip, I've just ordered a copy for a bit of holiday reading next week.

Busy reading "with the old breed" by EB Sledge, i just cant put the thing down. Before that read a very old copy of All quiet on the western front. Two books i would recommend although not deer stalking