Deer carcase how long

v-max

Hi i had a mate ask me how long a deer couls be left dead out in the woods till its too late to do out with. ie say shot at night & not found till next morning would it be safe to still eat??. I said i wasent sure but could try find out on the likes of here as im sure you may have upto 2 hours or so then the deer is condemed not sure? Dose anyone know if there is a set time limit??

Provided the stomach is not damaged and the contents spread about the cavity then it should be Ok my not aste as nice if it has not been blead out, if its clean in every other way and not had any dirt insects etc inside the skin then all should be well.Look out for fly strike at this time of year maggots soon hatch.

Provided the stomach is not damaged and the contents spread about the cavity then it should be Ok my not aste as nice if it has not been blead out, if its clean in every other way and not had any dirt insects etc inside the skin then all should be well.Look out for fly strike at this time of year maggots soon hatch.

Half an hour at this time of year a bit longer in cold weather.

Being a slaughterman for 20+yrs,in the business there is a 40min limit before the eviseration has to take place,then you need to be chilling it asap.

Late one evening I shot a roebuck that, despite my best efforts, I didn't find until very early the following morning. It had been shot through the heart with no other visible internal damage. I gralloched the buck and took it to my mate who put it straight into his chiller. The carcase never developed rigor mortis, just stayed limp and sort of floppy even after a day in the chiller. My mate (a butcher/stalker) said it was due to the gas that gets generated in the gut, the pressure causes the gas to enter the decaying blood and muscle and prevents the meat from "setting". I don't know if thats true or not but I don't suppose the foxes/badgers were too upset to find a ready meal that evening 'cause I certainly didn't fancy it!:cry:

Last edited:
I would be supprised if a carcase was not fly blown if left for more than 30 mins in daylight at this time of year. If you lose a deer at last light and can't find it in the dark then you should certainly come back the next morning to look for it but I wouldn't put it into the food chain. JC

One Febuary evening i unfortunately gut shot a Fallow pricket . I went back at first light the next morning (Cold and frosty) found the deer ,gralloched it . It tasted no different to any deer i gralloched soon after shot . I think it depends on the temperature and the absence of blow flys .

Chill

I agree with JC in that you should not put in the food chain to be sold but must be a personal choice to eat it yourself.
Interesting points about gases etc.especially in summer.

thanks for replies i will have to tell him to look at the used by date on its arse as stated but thanks for input.

Last edited:
Back