After humane dispatch thread

stalkinginengland

I would like your collective thoughts.

5 years ago I got a phone call from the woodman on the estate to say that there had been a deer strike just past his house. This was before I had a pistol so I loaded the .222 into the land rover and the under keeper and off we went. Sure enough the old bill had turned up and together with the crying woman who had hit it and a couple of crying kids stood around it and looked at the very badly injured Roe buck.

I turned up and told the plod who I was. The Roe was now on one of my fields off the road and I walked upto it and had a look. It was obviousely in a very bad way. I took the plod to one side and told him that there was no way it would be saved and said why not move the woman and kids back and let me put it down now. He told me he could not allow me to do it as he had already called the "deer man" who would be here in about 20 mins.

Bearing in mind it was dark and My under keeper could not be seen he came up to the plod and with the rifle on his back rather than leave it in the land rover asked what the problem was to which the plod started shouting to "get that gun out of sight" Rob then muttered something to the tune of "that needs putting down now" and "this is ****in stupid"

The plod then dressed him down and told him he would be arrested if he did not go and sit in the motor.

After plod had done his bit for PR I took him to the side and told him that I understood his problem but the animal was suffering and requested he moved everyone out of the way again to which he told me that he "could not allow it" to which I replied that to my knowledge and as it was now on my land he could not stop me, but I could see that he had got his work cut out and I would not push it and walked back to the truck. After an what I can say was a horribly long wait the "deer man" turned up. The police then moved the people away and it was shot and left.

I then cleared up after they had left.

Am I taking this too hard or was the plod a complete **** as to this day I am anoyed with myself that I was not more forceful or put in a complaint about his conduct.

In conclusion I feel that the plods job was to get the animal put down first and formost and he should have assissted me in doing that rather than pandering to the woman and kids and the WPC who was with him.? In all the deer suffered needlessly for 45 mins.

Regards

Mark

I would like your collective thoughts.

I turned up and told the plod who I was. The Roe was now on one of my fields off the road and I walked upto it and had a look. It was obviousely in a very bad way. I took the plod to one side and told him that there was no way it would be saved and said why not move the woman and kids back and let me put it down now. He told me he could not allow me to do it as he had already called the "deer man" who would be here in about 20 mins.

Bearing in mind it was dark and My under keeper could not be seen he came up to the plod and with the rifle on his back rather than leave it in the land rover asked what the problem was to which the plod started shouting to "get that gun out of sight" Rob then muttered something to the tune of "that needs putting down now" and "this is ****in stupid"

The plod then dressed him down and told him he would be arrested if he did not go and sit in the motor.

Am I taking this too hard or was the plod a complete **** as to this day I am anoyed with myself that I was not more forceful or put in a complaint about his conduct.

In conclusion I feel that the plods job was to get the animal put down first and formost and he should have assissted me in doing that rather than pandering to the woman and kids and the WPC who was with him.? In all the deer suffered needlessly for 45 mins.

Yes he was a baw bag ,if the persons vehicle was drivable the should have told them to get under way , not hang about .( maybe they were wanting a haunch of venison )

While there is no question that this is a result of the removal of free thought and so on from many in society - the copper can't act without explicit instruction from Comrade Stalin who tells him what to think.

However, being fair on the copper as a person he has probably been told that there is a procedure to follow when a deer is injured and I would guess that he was following it to the letter. It sounded like he was a bit stressed and not coping well with the situation for whatever reason and this makes it all the more likely that he will follow the procedure and ignore the obvious. Under these circumstances I can personally see why he was reluctant to let some bloke who walked up with a rifle (and remember what Comrade Stalin says about guns children...) get involved even though it was actually the sensible thing to do.

I had a poaching incident some while back on land a considerable distance from home. I went down to meet police on the land and took the rifle. One of the deer was injured - looked like a .22 had blown up on the shoulder and my intention was to shoot it. The police told me that I must not shoot it as they might need it for evidence!! I did make the welfare points etc. but they were not moving. I elected to follow their advice as it was a direct instruction. Some days later they called back and said they had been talking with their wildlife officer and that I must shoot the injured deer immediately etc. Now, to be fair to them they took the time to look into the matter rather than just ignore it and they never "blamed" me for not shooting it ASAP, without admitting such they seemed to accept that my not shooting it was down to their instruction. So, while what they did was wrong in terms of animal welfare they were acting according to their training and I have no doubt they believed they were acting for the best it is just that, unlike us, animal welfare is probably not foremost in their thoughts.

Wonder why I dont do the RTA's on the M77 ???

You are nothing to a policeman except a potential criminal and a box to tick, why give them the chance?

The problem is, Police get it wrong far too often.
Sure'ly they was responsible for correct carcass disposal ?

The 'Deer Man' actually broke the law as did the policeman for letting him shoot it where it was! If it was not on the public highway, he was guilty of armed trespass if he did not have the consent of the landowner. Tricky situation though if you were within 50ft of the centre of the highway as you would not be able to shoot it either:confused:!
Although the deer suffered for longer, I think it would have been you in the poo if you had shot it or wound plod up further.
Most I have encountered have been very helpful and mostly sensible - but then, I'm the 'Deer Man' who they were expecting!!!!!!:lol:
MS

Unrelated but an indication of attitude, my daughter is at Uni in Birmingham studying nursing, last Friday night four of the girls went into Birmingham on leaving a club in the wee small hours plod are waiting outside the club as they turn to walk down the road a black girl punched my daughter (white, petite, 18) in the face, real shiner, both coppers turned and walked away, her friend chased after them I cant quote but the bottom line, not interested, they saw this from a distance of less than 3 mtrs.

What happened to prime objective 'protection of life and property'

My policy they are best kept at a distance.

I shoot deer for the police and have heard storys like this one b4 that's one of the reasons why I signed up. I always use a shotgun and always aim for the back of the head using a normal game load but do take larger cartridges for the likes of reds or if the deer shows signs of mobility or if I can't get close enough. I do take a rifle but have never used it yet but you can't normally go wrong with a shotgun but one question I would like to ask is: if the deer is on your land dosnt it become your property and up to you how it is despatched etc

Tricky situation though if you were within 50ft of the centre of the highway as you would not be able to shoot it either:confused:!
It would only be illegal to shoot within 50 yds of the highway if "in consequence of which a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered." Otherwise it should be fine....

if the deer is on your land dosnt it become your property and up to you how it is despatched etc

Yes.

It's quite simple - any random person turning up claiming they have a gun and can dispatch the animal MAY not know what the hell they are doing. They may never have shot a live animal but think they know. Imagine if things went wrong, unless you have a specific policy you won't be insured if something went wrong.

The police are right to insist on a suitably 'vetted' individual who is insured. Whether this is provided by an arrangement with local stalkers, the RSPCA or local vets.

The deer is the property of the landowner if it's on private land or the responsibility of the highways agency if by the side of the road.

I have asked my FEO and a barrister who works for the CPS and both assure me that a charge for armed trespass would never be brought to court if performing euthanasia for humane reasons.

Back