Classifieds....what's going on??

willie_gunn

Is it just me or does it seem that, more and more these days, no sooner does someone post an item in the Classifieds than another site member (who's got no interest in buying the item) feels the desperate urge to 'go public' and tell the seller that they are asking too much/taking the p*ss/they can get one cheaper from eBay/Lidl/their mate down the pub, etc.

On another site they have this instruction in the Classifieds section:

"Prices must be posted or item will be deleted. No horseplay or negative remarks in this area. Buying or selling an item is serious business. Please act accordingly."

It's a shame that people have to be told....

willie_gunn

Sad isn't it. I have a few more scopes and bino's that I have for sale but whats the point of listing them here if all you get is some jerk wining about the price... More reasons for potential newcomers to this site to not bother psoting anything...

If anyone has unwelcome comments on their advert they can report the posts and we'll remove them. Sadly we just don't have the time to police every single comment but we have and will remove unhelpful heckling over prices etc. if we spot them or at the request of the advertiser.

Alex

Just quoting facts on my purchase of similar item.... if these facts upset Chopper i am sorry for that.

Is it just me or does it seem that, more and more these days, no sooner does someone post an item in the Classifieds than another site member (who's got no interest in buying the item) feels the desperate urge to 'go public' and tell the seller that they are asking too much/taking the p*ss/they can get one cheaper from eBay/Lidl/their mate down the pub, etc.

On another site they have this instruction in the Classifieds section:

"Prices must be posted or item will be deleted. No horseplay or negative remarks in this area. Buying or selling an item is serious business. Please act accordingly."

It's a shame that people have to be told....

willie_gunn

I knew youd blow up sooner or later willie :mad:
regards pete .

I've got three scopes on ebay at the moment.

Couldn't be bothered to put them on here for all of the above reasons plus the fact that its hard to put pictures on this site but easy on ebay.

You simply set the starting bid price at or just below what you hope to get then let the market decide, you get paid and thats that.

The only items that I am likely to sell on here are knives and firearms as these can't go on ebay. Sorry if that sounds harsh but I always buy good kit and if I decide to move it on for whatever reason then I want to get as much as possible back, you can't do this on here without causing hassle or bad feeling so ebay it is.

JC

I've got three scopes on ebay at the moment.

Couldn't be bothered to put them on here for all of the above reasons plus the fact that its hard to put pictures on this site but easy on ebay.

You simply set the starting bid price at or just below what you hope to get then let the market decide, you get paid and thats that.

The only items that I am likely to sell on here are knives and firearms as these can't go on ebay. Sorry if that sounds harsh but I always buy good kit and if I decide to move it on for whatever reason then I want to get as much as possible back, you can't do this on here without causing hassle or bad feeling so ebay it is.

JC
JC
any chance of pm'ing me a link to your ebay items
I often buy scopes off ebay but it good to know if the scopes are genuine quality to begin with and I reckon yours will be

sorry for going off topic Dom, but needs are must:D

I don't know what the problem is? I have bought and sold plenty on this forum and others. If somebody tells me that such and such a site is selling my scope new for less than I am asking for it secondhand then I want to know because I have it priced to high and it won't sell. Market conditions, somebody offers to sell something then you google the price to see if it is good value.
I have actually PMed one or two people who were selling stuff with the "where the competition was selling cheaper". And that may be why nobody had bought the said item. It is up to them to decide if they want to reduce the price.
Mind you I would always do it as a PM so it is not open to everybody to see.

And for all you people who won't sell because of the hassle. I have bought 3 scopes in the last month and sold two more. Hassle free. Well except for the dent to my wallet. The joys of upgrading.
I am personally more likely to trust people on the forum than ebay. At least here I can see a persons history and if he has been around with a lot of good posts he is unlikely to disappear off with my money. But that is my opinion. I have also found myself having great conversations with fellow shooters that I don't get to do elsewhere. But that is of course only my opinion............ and I have been wrong before :D

I've brought several items off here. Just as the Singer said, trust is everything when sending your hard earned money in an envelope.

Just as an example, I brought 750 paper case cartridges off a guy on this site. It took almost six months for us to collide mid way and for me to actually get my cartridges. In that time I never doubted his integrity, and as he said "how could I show my face on SD again if I did you wrong?" We never did meet but the cartridges were dropped off at a mates house just as promised. I do agree there is too much whinging about the prices of some items. Would these same guys wish to haggle on the sale of their own items in a crowded room? Do this by PM if you must.

Just my take on things,

Mark

about to put a steyr pro mountain in 243 on here when i suss the piccy bit :lol:
money is tighter than ever out there but i wont give kit away.my local gunshop gave me a price and i know the mark up so will give sd members a shout ,you takes your chances
let the wars begin;)
regards norma

I should add that, with the exception of Trade Members, the classifieds is a free service that we provide for the benefit of our members. We get nothing out of providing free classifieds. If you don't like using it because it's 'hassle' then you don't have to. It's less 'hassle' for us too! :D

However, that said, we enjoy very high Google rankings and searching for stalking gear on google often leads straight back to SD classifieds so products on here get good exposure.

With regards to posting pictures, I agree the system is a little more complex because it allows you to position pictures within your post a bit like using a Word processor. It's more powerful, but more complicated.

You can actually switch it off and use the simple upload system....

Use Simple Uploading

Alex

Last edited:
I think if some one is selling somthing and they feel its a good price and some one hammers it with out anything constructive then thats no on. But if some one is on and there product is well over priced then why not say there could be a new start who dose not know much about prices etc and he could get a bad deal now thats not on either. HAGGLE AWAY.OR USED EBAY.:lol:

Last edited:
not sure if my post got on here but i have sold all my equiment etc on here to all fellow stalkers and for what i beleive is a sure genuine price thats why it went so quick. i did not put any prices on as i needed the correct amount for the reasons for me selling my gear which i did with great lets say thinking just incase the wife was readind. willir gun wood you except say £50 if you thought you wood get say £ 85 lets be honest i sold all my gear for a good honest price thats wwhy it wen o so quick. end of they day evey mans wallet is different. i will be gladly to answear all question regaurding my post thanks weeman

weeman

Apologies if my original post came across differently, but I do agree with you 100%. An item is worth exactly what the final buyer and seller agree it is worth. If they don't agree, the item won't sell. As to whether prices should be posted in Classifieds, although I know it winds some people up it doesn't actually bother me either way. I always figure if someone is interested they will PM the seller and ask.

I've bought and sold plenty through the Classifieds, never been less than 100% happy and met some great people as well.

My moan was about people who see a Classified and feel obliged to add a negative comment, even though they don't seem to have any interest in the item other than as a means of letting them voice their opinion.

willie_gunn

wille gun i agree with you 100% and to this awesome and honest site it has bin a honast pleasure to pass my equimnent on to fellow stalkers yet a pain in the axxse to sel my gear but knowing it has gone to decent folk does ease the burden. i know what you mean regaurding prices etc is a bug bearer fot folk. but this site has been grate to me learnt a few things and new mates etc and so shall stalking continue.

I think if some one is selling somthing and they feel its a good price and some one hammers it with out anything constructive then thats no on. But if some one is one and there product is well over priced then why not say there could be a new start who dont know much about prices etc and he could get a bad deal now thats not on either. HAGGLE AWAY.OR USED EBAY.:lol:
Totally agree, there will be some members who may need pointing in the right direction regards pricing. Picking up on over priced items not only helps the buyer, it aids the seller in getting rid of his item. Like 6 pointer said, constructively. Ed.

We ALL got ripped at the start of our shooting lives and i wish someone had told me that Leupolds were not worth as much as i paid for one...

eddie thats why my mate i sold them on here they were sold in quick action amazing price i dont rip anybody off

Back