Shooting from high seat

Eyefor

Couple of points please.

Has anyone got a solution to avoid flinging brass around the countryside from the high seat?

I need my brass for reloading but when taking three quick shots last night (vixen and two large cubs trotting together) I managed to lose two 7mm-08 cases which were flung in the near dark to who-knows-where.

Second - I haven't done it yet - but I'm concerned about dropping my rifle off the high seat. Best solution I have found (so far) is to unclip the sling at the front, pass under the front bar of the high seat and then re-fasten. That way the sling will hold it should it slip and there is no restriction in shooting near 180 degrees?

Any other ideas (apart from don't drop it in the first place!).

Thanks

Iain

I would think you are only likley to drop the rifle if you fall asleep fix some u shaped brackets to rest your rifle in when waiting.and a short length of cord tied to sling will be less of faff than unfastening sling

Up a high seat place yu rifle secure at your side barrel over shooting rest. When you are going to take a shot it is like any other time there is a risk of it falling but that should be a very small risk and might ! brake the rifle. The rifle swinging on it sling and hitting god know what might go off a real risk and i for one would let mine fall the 9 ft to the ground before i would let it swing round near my face. The safty catch on a rifle is not infallable. :-|:scared:

If you are that worried about a couple of cases pehaps shooting live animals is not for you ? Shooting is expensive either live with it or take up another hobbie.

If you are that worried about a couple of cases pehaps shooting live animals is not for you ? Shooting is expensive either live with it or take up another hobbie.

Yes it is expensive, but there is no need to make it more so.
I hate losing brass as well, and sometimes wish I had bought a left handed rifle, just
so brass is ejected in to the truck and not the field.

Neil. :)

What is being worried about loosing a couple of cases got to do with shooting wild animals not being for the poster of this thread? I cannot see the connection???

The fact of the matter is, that when I fire-form cases for an AI chambering, it is a pain when you loose them. However, until you can walk into a shop and pick up 2 brass cases to replace those lost, a box of 20 factory rounds at £30+ does become cost prohibitive for some on a tight budget. And a box of new brass is not cheap either.

Shooting does not HAVE to be expensive. I know lots of stalkers who manage on a very low budget as they have no choice. It may mean cheap rifle and scope or only one or two trips a year if they don't have their own ground, but why would you suggest taking up another hobby????

Try opening the bolt slowly so you can catch the brass. Of course with a Mauser 98 type this is easy. Mind you I also find it easy to do with the push feed BSA's.

Treat it as you would a salute to the fallen, I spent all of 1 minute looking for my Nosler Custom .270 case last time round, as long as it's not a hazard to the running of the farm or other industry, let it go!:cool:

+ 1 with Finnbear here. It is a pain but hopefully if deer you do not need the quick second shot and will give you time to eject the case slowly.
Or if you are lucky enough to do as you did, and catch three foxes together think your self lucky, and live with it.
I know for a fact I would be more than happy, although still a PIA.
Atb

Nick

Back