Thread: Stalking Goats and carcass care

Established Poster
    Bathgate, West Lothian

Stalking Goats and carcass care

Guy, I was out stalking some mountain Goats yesterday with a couple of friends and we managed to bag a Goat. Now, I have never had to deal with a Goat carcass before, when hanging, do I leave it with the coat on or off?....I plan on also hanging for about 3-4 days.
    All pointers would be very much appreciated.
    Last edited by oilmanjd; 08-06-2011 at 11:33.

If it is a billy - whatever you do, do NOT get a shoulder mount made & then bring it into the house.

A friend had one taxi'ed; it still stinks, three years later.

After a week, it moved to the garage!

Established Poster
    Bathgate, West Lothian
    Ha ha, I do not think the other half would be too impressed with that idea....she is refusing to even go in the garage at the moment as that it where he is hanging.

My shooting buddy shots quite a few and they do not go into the food chain, not sure why. Probably small market, however I expect there would be a demand in the Walsall area.

Probably best to treat as a sheep, wound not be keen to hang it for to long.

Curry goat. Lovely. Have eaten it myself - in Walsall as it happens!

I seem to remember HF-W featured it in a programme a while back.
    KevinF -

Shot a lot on one of the western isles 400+ this was a cull job 45 years ago certainly no market for the meat at that time
    some of the islanders would eat the youngsters [tried it but not to my taste have eaten domestic goat but it was not the same maybe what they were feeding on] but could not even give the adults away, did find a market for the skins

When job was finished had to burn clothes as no matter how often washed could not get rid of the smell.

I was in Scotland about ten years ago watching a load of goats with this stalker and he said never put one in your car as the only way to get rid of the smell is to tip a pint of milk in the footwell and once it go's off it well smell a lot better .