Help needed

Dickyboy

Right I have a dilema.....

I have a steyr mannlicher in .243, I bought it when I wanted one gun for fox and deer. For two years I have had a Remington 700 in .223, thumbhole stock, 20" barrel, jewell trigger for foxing

I love the Remmy and actually resent the mannlicher(its a nice gun but I'm spoilt with the jewell trigger). I am also getting a few opportunities to shoot fallow and maybe a couple of reds.

So I am looking to change the rifle, I want lightweight though.

The dilema is two fold.......Firstly what calibre? I don't reload so am looking between 6.5x55 and 308? Preferably flatter shooting and airing on the side of roe and fox by day, also less recoil.

Secondly which rifle
I was looking at Sako 75's(seeing the ad on here is rushing my decision)
But I really like being able to tune the rifle myself by adding say jewell triggers and better stocks if I want. The rifle will be a tool so don't want super posh and also clients will be using it from time to time.

How good are the sako's? Or should I go down the howa/remington route so there is more aftermarket options? Or is there another route?

I have a sako 85 308 win. Takes fallow and boar . Smashes foxes and drops Roe on the spot. Don't find the recoil much worse than my 243 ai custom. I had a 75 in 243 but sold to fund the ackley. If I be honest there is no need to do anywork to a sako maybe just a Macmillan swirly for the ultimate factory rifle. Tin hat going on for incoming from the blaser regiment..

Atb Steve

Are the factory stocks not great then? do they change poi from differing shooting positons, bipod/sticks etc?

have you felt a jewell trigger? how do they compare?

You can get a few aftermarket bits for the sako's..... and they are a solid reliable rifle. So you wouldn't go far wrong with one depending how many add ons you want to fit!. Stock options are from Mcmillan, triggers include CG, timney and i think jewell.... and bound to be others, Picatinny rails are available, you can get a big knob done if you want..etc.
So go for it i say!

steve.

Have a jewel on my custom musket. The sakos have a solid adjustable trigger . Have mine down to a pound. Nothing wrong with the stock. Shot 1" with factory ammo now even tighter with homeloads. If I bought another rifle it would be sako.

Atb Steve

Well so long as the fao agrees and he should i'll be getting it. I like the recoil off a 6.5 very rolling

Forgive my ignorance but what is the difference between "recommended" and "boar legal"? I was under the impression that what calibre used is outside the police remit.

David.

David

You'll find that the home office guidelines are what the majority of police forces adhere to, and within the guidelines it states the minimum reccommended calibre for wil boar is the .270. Most police forces are iffy about putting wild boar on your ticket...let alone allowing the use of a 'lesser' calibre.

steve

Dickyboy:- If you're thinking of a Howa, Take a look at the Weatherby vanguard carbine in 308, it's basically a slightly better finished Howa with a better stock, 20" barrel and weighs in at 6.5lbs, if you want an after sales trigger etc timney do one that won't break the bank, Sportsman/Dorchester are the main importers, at £535 not too badly priced.

A good compromise would be a 7mm08 or a 7x57 both ok for boar and larger deer but easy on the recoil as well! really depends on wether you reload or not,
there is a nice 7mm08 x bolt for sale on this site, might be worth you having a look at
Sinbad.

Safer sticking with a mainstream calibre then.
308 or 7mm08 readily available ammo, low recoil and choice of available rifles, new and secondhand.
still think the 7mm08 is the better choice though.
sinbad
forgot to add, I had a 6.5x55 swede on my ticket but was refused wild boar with it, so went back to the 7mm08.
Also you can take the 7mm into France,but not the 308 (something to do with military calibres I think??)

Last edited:
Back