Deer stalking/stalked by deer!

Herne

Twice this has happened to me now, once with a young sika stag and the other night by a red hind.

Deer are naturally inquisitive up to a point, however, as I moved down a ride (with the wind) as I was circling to a different area I spotted two hinds in front of me, they headed into the trees on the right. As I moved forward I became aware that they had stopped in the trees and were gradually moving parallel "watching me", no more that 25 yards away one gave up after a few yards, 200 yards up the ride, the other was still there, no more than 10 yards away before eventually wandering away.

Perfectly healthy no issues, just curious I think. Any one else had this happen?

H

I've found when stalking old Roebucks that if they spot you they normally bolt and very rarely stop for a look back like a younger beast often will.

But, on the odd occasion they will stand their ground (usually watching from cover) and bark at you, not wanting to move off, almost like a challenge. I've had this happen 2 or 3 times this season so far.

Mark.

ive had a muntjac doe came walking into me whiles led in a grass field one evening, barking an licking the air, as it came closer, it came in to about 15 yards, seems it coundnt figure out what i was,

Happened to me a couple of years back. I was walking fairly briskly to a lookout point. Once there I set up my sticks and used them to steady my binoculars. Whilst looking through them, I noticed out of the corner of my eye, something below me. At first I thought it to be a sandy coloured dog. However, it was a Muntjac doe, fully grown. She went a few yards past me and we looked at one another and she was off like a shot. She could have only been walking a few yards behind me before I stopped.

ive had a muntjac doe came walking into me whiles led in a grass field one evening, barking an licking the air, as it came closer, it came in to about 15 yards, seems it coundnt figure out what i was,

You realise you are leaving yourself wide open for smart assed remarks............ Oh, I am so biting my tongue :lol:

Do you reckon deer can smell a stalker with a rifle like gun powder etc to a walker with just a pair on binos cause i do, when out walking not stalking i can noramlly get between 50 to 100yards no problem spotting fallow an roe thats even dawn dusk and they just carry on graiseing knowing full well im there, but moment out with rifle a raise of there eye gone. Do they smell fear ?

I want to be a tree..........

Actually in all seriousness.Some land I shoot on you never see a deer, but across the road where we are not allowed to shoot deer but can take foxes and rabbits you will never see less than 6 roe calmly chewing and waving back at you. Ohhhh that is so irritating. :mad:

I had a red stag arrive in my garden 2 days after the end of the stag season, at the time I had never fed deer here, the stag would spend 2 hours from about 6pm grazing in the garden and then wander off paying no notice to the 4 kids running around the house making a racket. It contiued to do this all winter untill the weather got bad an I started putting the tattie pealings out for it as the kids named it. (hope he keeps his head down this year). it will now eat anything from our back door step.

Back