Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mod isn't the same as rifle

Mod isn't the same as rifle

Having had a session down the range zeroing my new rifle I have been told that the mod I bought with it is not the same calibre. I confess that I don't know much about rifles, callibers and how important it is to match them up, I just love stalking and want my kit to be accurate enough to do the job well. I have a 6.5 x 55 and I'm sure the bloke at the range said my mod was 30 cal. He said something about the shop being lazy an not getting the right calibre in for me.
    Can anyone tell me if it'll make any real difference as I'm wondering whether it's something to get annoyed about or not.

What mod is it? Is it a T8?
    I only ask because I have a 22.250 with the mod matched to the calibre and a .243 that has a .30 cal mod.
    It is supposed to be a little louder when the mod doesn't match the calibre, but to my ears there isn't much in it. It doesn't appear to make any difference with accuracy for me

Depends on the manufacture of the Mod, most do two sizes, unless it is a custom one, typically it would be one size up to 6mm or .25 then a .30 cal’ one. Therefore a 6.5 cal’ should be used a .30 cal’ moderator. What make is your mod?

6.5 x 55 and .30 go together

I use a Northstar .30 mod on my 6.5x55, no problems. I also have a .30 T8 which I use on my 22-250 which works a treat!!

Many thanks all. It's a Wildcat Predator 8. It seems that I can put the dogs of war back to bed. I appreciate the advice.

The Predator 8 has a caliber specific defuser which will make it slightly quieter but it is still acceptable to use a 30 cal on a 6.5
    Anglo deer management and training
    Yet another 7mm 08 user ..................... if Carlsberg made calibers.........................

In the shooting times test, the results said the Wildcat was the worst performer IF it was not the correct match for the rifle.

I have not used a wildcat so can not say if this is true , But i would contact wildcat direct to find out.

ATB Coldweld

Dont give it a second thought

hi have got a 223 cz with 30 cal t8 and a 243 with awildcat 8 to fit the cal both groupwell sub inch