Suzuki Vitara Diff-lock?

flytie

Dear All, I have a Suzuki Jimny which has a diff-lock on the rear axle, as I know some of you have Vitaras I was wondering if they too have a diff-lock or not?

In my old age I fancy something a tad more comfortable (but cheap) for longer journeys.

Many thanks, Simon

The Jinmy does not have a diff lock as standard, did you fit an aftermarket one or confusing it with low range?

Dont think any of the vitara range have a diff lock either new or old as standard, maybe you can get a locker as an option.

The new ones are electronic permanent 4x4 apparently with low range box, but never been in one or under one

Last edited:
I have a Jimny and something locks up in low ratio, otherwise why the prohibition to use low ratio on tarmac? I was under the impression the centre diff locked up but I would have to re-read the book to be sure.

David.

The issue with the jimny and tarmac is that it has no centre differential (bit like 4x4 quad) and will wind up the transmission as the different revolutions of front and rear axle cannot be compensated for unless on a loose surface to allow slip.

The jimny has low and high ratio gear box and 2 or 4 wheel drive, but no Diff Lock. It a front diff and a rear diff which are free, it also has pnuematic operated front hubs which are only engaged in 4x4, this is what allows for 4-wheel drive to operate while moving up to 60MPH.

Engaging 4x4 low when stationary (button or lever)will lock the front hubs which are normally freewheeeling not a diff.

Hope this helps

Last edited:
flytie

i had a grand vitara and that had diff lock and low ratio

Amazing, never ever, ever ,ever heard of one with adiff lock, 4H-Lock and 4L-Lock is not diff lock. It simply locks the car in 4-wheel drive.

LAND ROVER DEFENDERS DONT HAVE FRONT AND REAR DIFF LOCKS EITHER. The do have a centre diff lock, but as a GV does not have a centre diff it cannot have a centre diff lock.

Take a defender or 110 or 90, or better still a disco 1 or 2 or even an earlier range rover and loose traction on both left hand wheels or both right hand wheels and you will find out what a diff lock is.

the truth is out there, normally in the manual.

unless you are going very serious off roading it really does not matter, Both suzukis achilles heel is ground clearance not the drive train.

Last edited:
Suzuki 4x4 overview

Suzuki 4x4 overview.

The Suzuki Jimny is a permanent 4 wheel drive vehicle that uses free wheeling hubs on both front wheels to allow for drive to be disconnected to the front so becoming 2-wheel drive. It really is as basic as that.
The gearbox and transfer box on the Jimny and SJ series are separate. The transfer box takes the drive from the rear of the gear box and transfers drive to front and rear propshafts.
As it has no centre differential any diff lock would need to be on either front or rear axles and as they are very expensive they are not standard fitment nor ever have been.
The Vitara and Grand Vitara (GV (up to 2006)) differ in that the transfer box and gearbox are one unit. It still has no centre diff.
These cars are 2-wheel drive cars with selectable 4x4. When you select 4H or 4L the transfer box engages the front propshaft and drives via all four wheels.
The only 4x4 vehicles that have a rear diff lock are high end ones or commercial pickups that sell in 3rd world countries and even then it is normally an option in UK
Nowadays electronic wizardry takes the place of a mechanical lock via the traction control and ABS systems. Essentially wheel speed sensors monitor them and if one starts going out of spec the wheel is braked automatically and the drive sent to the other wheels automatically.
Hill descent is much the same.

The Jinmy does not have a diff lock as standard, did you fit an aftermarket one or confusing it with low range?

Dont think any of the vitara range have a diff lock either new or old as standard, maybe you can get a locker as an option.

The new ones are electronic permanent 4x4 apparently with low range box, but never been in one or under one

My Jimny is an 03 plate, it has H2, H4, L4 and diff lock on the rear diff only. Fact! Whether this has been put on afterwards i cannot say as i have not had it from new. There is however another Jimny in town which is the same as mine. I am told that the earlier models of jimny's 4wd were different to the new electronicly operated ones.

I do know that Rhino Ray fits an aftermarket air locker on jimnys rear diffs.

Simon.

Every day is a learning day!

I have gone over all my suzuki manuals again today and no mention of it.

Mine is bog standard and has no extra buttons, my shogun has the option for a diff lock but even on a £35000 car its an option.

how do you activate the diff lock, is there a button on the dash?

well seeing I am late shift with nothing to do tonight. found this on the web very impressive and expensive. if you have one like this I am sure you will get premium money of the 4x4 boys when you sell the wee truck

http://www.kamdiffs.com/suzuki.php?l=KAM_Difflock&link=Suzuki_Diff_Lock672

Last edited:
I have found the answer, they are both aftermarket ones done by a local 4x4 garage. I do wish mine was an airlocker one, as it is i have to line up the drive train with straight wheels before engaging with a lever. I have never questioned why it was like it is before, I just thought this was an option at one time and i was fortunate enough to buy one. Sorry for my confusion, and for getting it wrong :oops:

I have been reading up on the diff's on jimny's, supposedly there are some which have an electronically managed rear limited slip-diff which is engaged on the 4x4L with the lever depressed and pushed back. My handbook makes no mention of this, perhaps it is on the later models which use electronics instead of levers?

I have been looking at other 4x4 options and still find it hard to get past the jimny. The Terios is closest in size to it but has no lower range, even though it does have a centre diff. I think I still prefer the jimny to it, I just wish i had air-con too.

Simon

If I am correct the Land Cruiser has 3 diff locks (older version)

I have a an old Vitara V6 automatic which although thirsty is lovely.

Have fitted smaller rims on the back as better selection of more appropriate tyres for rear.

D

Am I understanding this correctly Cyres, you have different sized wheels on the rear of your vehicle to the front?

hi get a nissan terrno swb

Ian, You are really pleased with yours then? I wondered/worried about the limited slip diff and off road capability, but i will admit everyone who i have spoken to that i know who owns one, and granted that is only three people, really like them.

Simon

mercedes G wagen has front & rear difflockers, a superb tool, from 91 onwards with the 6 cyl diesel 3 lire, very comfy & drive as all mercs do, effortless & built like a tank.....if you have the funds ;)

some 2.8 pajero's also have rear locker, as an optional

If I am correct the Land Cruiser has 3 diff locks (older version)

I have a an old Vitara V6 automatic which although thirsty is lovely.

Have fitted smaller rims on the back as better selection of more appropriate tyres for rear.

D

You are correct. I have taken a 4.2 Amazon to some places and up snowy/ muddy slopes you wouldn't believe.

Back