directordi

Wwm

My apologies - should have paut my name on the original post. As I said we the Deer Initiative is an open organisation and I am the Director. Beore taking up this post I was a DLO (for the Central Region) DI and prior to that I was the Deer Officer at BASC.

I am an ecologist by training but also a stalker.

Peter Watson

Hello Peter I remember you from my dmq 1 in the lakes you lent me the use of your rifle for the shooting test welcome aboard
Wayne
amberdog

Peter @ DI .do you think that people are using the Name of the DI to gain stalking in areas that have good Deer populations were if they did not use the DI name they would be hunting for the poaching bastards THEY ARE.
Also can any one become a member and use the facilities at the DI ,S disposal eg high seats larders etc and is there a cost as a lot of government money is being used eg DEFRA and FC .
Also the lads who feel they have there land taken or trying to be taken underhandedly what should there coarse of action be.As they might feel with taxes and there BASC membership number that they are funding indirectly and directly the very people they are trying to keep away.ps welcome Peter and hope you enjoy it here.

6.5 x 55 said:
Peter @ DI .do you think that people are using the Name of the DI to gain stalking in areas that have good Deer populations were if they did not use the DI name they would be hunting for the poaching bastards THEY ARE.
Also can any one become a member and use the facilities at the DI ,S disposal eg high seats larders etc and is there a cost as a lot of government money is being used eg DEFRA and FC .
Also the lads who feel they have there land taken or trying to be taken underhandedly what should there coarse of action be.As they might feel with taxes and there BASC membership number that they are funding indirectly and directly the very people they are trying to keep away.

Welcome to the site David - you have just been savaged by one of our resident Rottweillers. :lol: Truth is 6 point 5 has robust views and is direct and to the point. He also asks serious, pertinent questions. I think quite a few of us are interested in the measures the DI has in place to prevent abuse of its name and/or charitable status.

Misuse of the DI name and support to stalkers

Dear all

We recognise there is an issue with individuals purporting to represent us or associating themselves with what we do. We try to work closely with landowners and their organisations like CLA and NFU to ensure they know who we are and that we do not knock on doors to try and gain stalking.

As I said before we only work in priority areas identified by the landowners themselves or by Government and we try to ensure that all the locals (landowners, stalkers and agencies) know what we are about and how we operate.

6.5x55 asks about joining the DI - we do not have individual members, only organisations. We in no way want to compete with BASC, BDS or others. However if you are stalking in one of the priority areas we will support you in the ways that Wayne Davies spoke about and anything else that helps us achieve the aims.

If you are not sure where the piority areas are the local DLO will be happy to brief you on where and why.

Hope this helps

Peter W [/quote]

I think the DI site is very good, particularly in terms of the deer management/census plan help it provides.

It does however seem to say that people can organise themselves into a DM group and then approach the DI.

It seems that non-DI people are doing things in your name and giving you a bad name as a result.

The current situation for intsance, allows me and my buddys to get together, and without any contact with the DI or the DI even being aware of us, decide we are forming a DM group. We can then approach landowners and say 'We are foming a DI, DMG, do you want us to look after your deer?'. Without ever actually having to formally register with the DI.

To many farmers/landowners, that would be enough and they would never check with the DI.

It's like driving around for ever on a provisional licence.

We would then be able to shoot the place out for a while, make our excuses and move on.

Do you know how many such groups are formed and never come to the attention of the DI?

Perhaps, it could be an idea for a named person to register with the DI on production of a formal census and plan, then for the group to form around them, and only then can they make formal offers to landowners under the banner of the DI.

Or perhaps one of the proposed DM group has to be the owner of part of the land in question, or have a pre-existing permission to shoot which the landowner can confirm was granted before the DI was mentioned.

Some people will try anything to get stalking.

S.

It seems to me that you cant join you need to be stalking on the vulnerable areas already. If that is the case were are the members of the DI Drafted from . I don't want to be part of any group but would like to know all of the areas that have plenty of deer .
If i form a deer management group and want help is there a cost and do i need to let a member of the DI survey my ground.
DI sorry for seeming so sceptical but when groups have been formed in the past and set up there has been a real cash cow for the ones involved and the only sufferers are the single stalkers who want to stalk deer properly not go in a for a day or two and wipe out the area.
Like i said the worst areas and were there is a real danger of death by deer is the area you keep out of because it makes big cash for the FC.

Sorry, but I don't understand how it makes big cash for the FC.

It seems to me that you cant join you need to be stalking on the vulnerable areas already. If that is the case were are the members of the DI Drafted from . I don't want to be part of any group but would like to know all of the areas that have plenty of deer .
If i form a deer management group and want help is there a cost and do i need to let a member of the DI survey my ground.
DI sorry for seeming so sceptical but when groups have been formed in the past and set up there has been a real cash cow for the ones involved and the only sufferers are the single stalkers who want to stalk deer properly not go in a for a day or two and wipe out the area.
Like i said the worst areas and were there is a real danger of death by deer is the area you keep out of because it makes big cash for the FC.

Back