Stalking - Fox

Was out this morning after the Bucks, but due to the wind and cold weather they weren't playing. Spent 3 hrs walking round ground to no avail. At the end of our ground there is a large patch of open grass where I spied a fox, mousing in the long grass.

With a strong wind in my favour and his pre-occupation on the mice, he did not notice I was there. So stupid features here thinks, I'll have some fun and see how close I can stalk in on him (should add the t&C of our lease preclude anything other than deer to be shot). So I used the tree line edge to move closer and got to 40 yrds away, still did not notice me, then used a circular patch of thigh high grass to get closer. In the end I was about 20 feet away from him without him knowing I was there.

Again stupid features here thinks let see if he reacts to me mouth squeaking- boy I did not expect the reaction I got. The fox turned stared in my direction and ran full pelt straight at me, it was only as my senses kicked in and he was about 6 feet away, I jumped up and roared that made him swerve and sculk off into the wood. I hate to think what was in his mind up till I jumped up.

Got some nice piccies[video]http://youtu.be/I2J__KITVAA[/video]

I've killed thousands and still get a thrill whenever I see a fox, well done, may never come to a squeak again but great photos!!!!:lol:

I've killed thousands and still get a thrill whenever I see a fox, well done, may never come to a squeak again but great photos!!!!:lol:

Crumpy- thanks for comments. I don't think I will be squeaking him that close again with out a round in the chamber and the rifle pointing in his direction:scared:

Last edited:
I don't think there was anything stupid about what you were doing. Am sure there is no better stalking practice than what you did. Maybe next time he will have a decent 6-pointer on his barnet !! All part of the fun tho .... Great pictures.

I don't think there was anything stupid about what you were doing. Am sure there is no better stalking practice than what you did. Maybe next time he will have a decent 6-pointer on his barnet !! All part of the fun tho .... Great pictures.

Thanks Timney

Here's hoping- I am out on Sunday 3am in anticipation!!

Shot one on Saturday night doing exactly the same thing but 120yds away, watched it for a few minutes, didn't have a clue I was there. It gave up mousing and decided to sit on a tree mound for a breather...... well, at least for a second or two!! :D. It is slumped below the mound it fell off... Gun is unloaded BTW, ready to go home as no Bucks showing.... can't resist it when a fox comes out, but not a good recipe for successful deer stalking for me :doh:

Copy of Fox 11.06.11 (1).jpg

Back