Bag Filler

B&Q

Nip down to B&Q and get some sand, i did many years ago and mine work fine. Think i got the stuff they put into kids sand pits.

Sanders, I managed to precure a load of Walnut shell, which is what is recommended. If you are anywhere near Oxfordshire I could let you have some.
A mate has used cat litter (Diatomatious Earth) which is very successful and lighter in weight than mine, but don't get it wet.

filler for rifle bags

I used ordinary builder's sand. Dried out on a tray, in the oven, it went very fine and was ideal for bench bags.

I use plastic pellets in mine and they are fantastic. Half the weight of sand, does not matter if it gets wet, and mould according to the surface you place it on. Unfortunately, I do not know where you can buy them from. I have tons of them if anyone wants some but you will have to collect from Kent.

The most solid shooting bag I ever encountered belongs to Muir, off this site. It is filled with lead shot! you don't want to carry the bloody thing too far but it is fantastic to shoot off, rock solid. i forget how much it weighs, but it is a lot.

John

dry sand = cheap
plastic granulate = light, quite cheap, not so steady
zirconia sand = heavy (5.6g/ccm) steady
dry sand might be a compromise and cheap.

edi

Mine's filled with red lentils inside 2 freezer bags to keep them dry.

If I'm ever stuck in the woods - I've got soup!

All filled now with industrial hot melt glue pellets, nice weight, no worries about the damp, just need to keep it cool or it will set solid!

Jerry

Back