Pro's and cons of 25-06 please

Dickyboy

I am looking for a stalking rifle and was thinking of 308 or 6.5x55 prefering the latter. But have seen a 25-06 for sale. I shoot around 80 roe a year but hopefully more if the cull goes well.

It will mainly be for roe but would like to do some fallow and maybe others. How do they compare? Kick vicious? flat shooting? bullet weights? ballstics? accuracy? stopping power? That sort of thing.
All comments welcomed

Thank you

I have shot with a 25-06 for a few years now and love it. It is a very flat shooting rifle. I have shot with 70/80 gr bullets on foxes and roe , but have used 120 gr on the larger deer. With a decent moderator there is very little kick from the rifle. I use a Tikka Varmint S/S and find it to be very accurate.

Atb,
Nelson.

I liked the .25-06. I had a Ruger MKII and struggled to get the accuracy I wanted with factory ammunition for shooting roe deer. Also at that time, moderators weren't so widespread and I didn't have one on the .25-06. However, if I still had the rifle, I am fairly sure that with reloaded ammo and a sound moderator, it would do a job for me shooting roe deer. For shooting red deer it was fine and my Dad used it for a season when the stock of his rifle was broken. It's a buyer's market for rifles, so if you fancy the rifle, drive a hard deal and go for it.

Good luck. JCS

i was in the exact same position as you a couple of years back thinking of a 6.5x55 and than a mate offered me a tikka t3 lite .25-06 at mates rate ,i did not now what to do, but on the advice given by sikamalc and others i went for the .25 REALLY glad i took their advice now !. i reload and its very flat, negligible recoil (with a mod) and superbly accurate way beyond my capabilities! only down size if any is they like a bit of powder .I have just bought a .308 as a main stalking rifle, i like wood and i have the chance of occasional pigs, and that,s the only reason, but now way would i get rid of the .25-06. IF ITS A GOOD PRICE GO FOR IT ! you really wont regret it .

25-06 will shorten the life expectancy of reds with very little effort. But go for it's big brother either way you wont regret it.

Hi Richard

Remember this the 25cal is 6.4mm in diameter, so almost the same bore diameter as the Swede, although there is a bigger choice of bullets for the Swede, then 25-06 with its bigger case can push the bullet faster, there are certainty flat shooting.:thumb:

I am sure you will find it more than enoght gun for fallow, I watch my mate drop 5 red hinds on the spot earlier this year with his 25-06 Sako, and he would of undoubtedly shot all 8 if he had a bigger mag’.:rolleyes: Next time he can drag them all out on his own if you are reading this Dunc’s.:evil::rofl:

The 25-06 will be demon on fallow I am sure.

ATB

Tahr

If I get it I'll have to have my RFD hold it. I was looking at a 308 and this very morning i had my renewal interview I put on a 308 so at least it will be free to vary it. so that will be a hold up. Sods law!!

Oh come on T did you not use Dave's on the dsc1?

Don't worry Simon, I am wholeheartedly sold on the 25-06. I not only used Dave's 25-06 on the DSCL1, but also on my first (successful) UK day stalking; brilliantly flat shooting, hard hitting, mild recoiling calibre. I was merely poking fun at the ambiguity to which you refer regarding the bigger brother of the 25-06, as other popular calibres including the .270, .280, .35 whelen and even the .400 whelen are technically "bigger brothers" of the .30-03 parent case. I actually have a left handed .30-06 patiently waiting for me on the other side of the pond until I can figure out the UK licensing system.

Won't go wrong with the 25-06. My Tikka T3 Lite with home loads will consistantly produce sub-moa groups when I shoot it, last week my mate had a go and shot an 1/2" group with it using the same ammo. Like others have said it is very flat shooting and there is little recoil when the moderator is on there.

If you really want one, no.

The problem comes when a shooter has a dealer who is willing to cut them a "deal" on a rifle in a given caliber, or his best friend has one and the prospective buyer really wants to join that same club. It's hard to deny those temptations. The 25-06 is a good round but, ballistically speaking, I'd rather have the 280. It's a far better round, IMHO.~Muir

PS: In Montana the second hand racks are festooned with used 25-06 and 7mm Remington Magnum rifles: Ammo cost is surely the cause for the latter....

I'm tossing up between 25-06, 6.5x55swede and 308 as I don't reload. Not worried what calibre i shoot so long as it does the job and doesn't punish me

Hi Richard

Remember this the 25cal is 6.4mm in diameter, so almost the same bore diameter as the Swede, although there is a bigger choice of bullets for the Swede, then 25-06 with its bigger case can push the bullet faster, there are certainty flat shooting.:thumb:

I am sure you will find it more than enoght gun for fallow, I watch my mate drop 5 red hinds on the spot earlier this year with his 25-06 Sako, and he would of undoubtedly shot all 8 if he had a bigger mag’.:rolleyes: Next time he can drag them all out on his own if you are reading this Dunc’s.:evil::rofl:

The 25-06 will be demon on fallow I am sure.

ATB

Tahr

I always assumed a 6.5mm bullet size was 6.5mm but recently read its actual diameter was 6.7mm. Is that incorrect then?
This is an honest question. I'm not trying to be smart.

we have two 25 06 s and they will do all you want and shoot much flatter than a 6.5. And thar think i will have to get the quad out if you cant help next time :lol:

Back