Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bino's

Hi All,

Currently looking to get some bino's and wondered what poeple would suggest.

My requirements are:

something I could use on the hill or woodland
    Budget upto 1500
    Basically something that would last a life time.

I thought either something from Leicas or Swarovski?

You have answered your own question ! Either of the two but don't go to big .

8x42 or as close to that is perfect, Both types you mention will last a life time, I have no experiance of Leicas asfter sale's BUT Swarovski's must be one of the best if not the best in the world !
    I expect my two pairs to out last me and proberbly my son .

Personally i think there's no substitute for going to a shop and looking down as many as you can. I've got some Swarovski el 8.5 x 42s. I have used a friends Zeiss victories and whilst there isn't an awful lot of difference I honestly think you can't beat the Swarovskis. They'll do me a lifetime and, if you've got the kind of luck I have, you might find a bargain on fleabay (but be careful not to get a stolen pair).

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    Nairn, Inverness-shire
    I have the 10x42 Swaro EL's, cracking, nice to the feel, robust. I would however if I was going to buy them again go for the 8.5's, the x10 can give a shake especially if you get the "Buck Fever" rush, (I still get it for does) or if you have just had to crawl/assend any increased heart activity.......

But in saying that, I wouldn't change them, but wouldn't go that mag again.

Another make to look at is the Minox range, I used them when my Swaro wre getting fixed (Another story). Very Very good glass, do a search on here and I'm sure you'll only fine positive comments. 8.5x48? might be 8.5x42? Cracking and at about 400 new.

Position and hold must be firm enough to support the firearm
    The firearm must point naturally at the target without any undue physical effort
    Sight alignment (aiming) must be correct
    The shot must be released and followed through without disturbing the position

I have tried most bins in my time and would bye Lieca for me the easiest bins on the eye with the clearest of pictures mine are now 9 years old and clear as a bell.Believe me they get used and abused.
    As I get older I have realised that I cannot please everyone. But I find I can easy piss every one off.

have a look at Zeiss also

Thanks for the advice will pop down the shop tomorrow and have look through a few, interested in looking at th swak 10x50 El

No No and thrice NO !

Don't think the 10's will be better than the 8.5's because they arnt !!

You will get less field of view, More noticable shake .

Also 50's will be heavy 42's are bad enough on a long stalk.

+1 on the 10s being a bad idea. I stalked with 10s for ages and couldn't see a damn thing. I never picked up deer with them I always saw them with the naked eye and just used the bins to confirm what I had seen. They shake too much and the field of view is too small. I would also be very surprised if you see much difference between 42s and 50s. I have a 56 objective on my Swarovski z6 scope and I don't find any noticeable difference over my 42 bins. When you take e weight into account I can't believe it's worth it. Having said that you're doing the right thing. Go , look, see what you like and ignore all of us if you look down the 10 x 50s and like them better than the rest. Just don't go for them automatically because the numbers suggest they should be best.

As others have suggested 8 or 8.5x42 is a good allrounder. I use a pair of Leicas bought on for 500 euro. Best money spent.