How to get into stalking?

Deerman94

Hi to all!
Iam 17 years old male and really want to go deer stalking or even become a stalker.
I've been living in uk since 10 and in my family there are a lot of deer stalkers but unfortunatly all family members got their licences in my country which is very very strict and over there it takes minimum 2 years to get a licence and also you have to be 21.
First thing is that i want to know every step after i would recieve my shotgun cert as want to to start with pigeons.I know that there are clubs and i would like to attend them but i dont have that much cash in my pocket.:lol:
so i would rather want to find someone that i can shoot on their land .example pigeons .
thanks.

also i wanted to add that i live in very low crime area so the chances of getting sgc are little bit higher.thanks

I just wrote this in another post - about stalking land.

You need to offer help to a keeper, this will not be a help a day go shooting for a day arrangement. Help someone, learn about the countryside then get to go shooting but you may not even get to shoot. You will be picking up and running round then when you have trust you may get the opportunity to start shooting.

We have around 3-4 lads a year come to "help" We ake bets to how long they will last before saying...."so how often do you go shooting?" "do you shoot alot" or the best/worst "can we go shooting now" when you explain to them that keepering is more than shooting and we only tend to in our "spare" time they lose interest and dissappear!!

Last edited:
I just wrote this in another post - about stalking land.

You need to offer help to a keeper, this will not be a help a day go shooting for a day arrangement. Help someone, learn about the countryside then get to go shooting but you may not even get to shoot. You will be picking up and running round then when you have trust you may get the opportunity to start shooting.

We have around 3-4 lads a year come to "help" We ake bets to how long they will last before saying...."so how often do you go shooting?" "do you shoot alot" or the best/worst "can we go shooting now" when you explain to them that keepering is more than shooting and we only tend to in our "spare" time they lose interest and dissappear!!
aint that the truth! we have students every year from newtonrigg and they are all good lads they all bring a gun up with them and it gets locked in my cabinet as soon as it comes out the car! too many younger people get into keepering just to shoot and then find they wont see a gun for weeks on end and bugger off! i use a hammer and spade more than a gun!

+1 to the hammering.....I do use a gun alot but its instead of a social life not a instead of a job.

yep got to agree 100% their most lads i work with find the lack of social life/real freinds the biggest problem with keepering and the main reason why they quit

+1 I have seen no end come into the trade. Some make it most dont. You need to decide if you want to shoot , and theres nothing wrong with that , or keeper. The two are conected but not the same. As a keeper you are there to produce game for others to shoot not shoot it your self. If you want to shoot get a job that pays well and go and enjoy your shooting. If you want to keeper then treat the gun as a tool the same as a spade or hammer.

If you cant be put off then get to know a keeper or 2 and lend them a hand , make yourself stand out from the crowd. Most jobs are taken word of mouth. I have been in the job all my working life and sometimes I wonder why but most of the time I know why. You can have a week up here if you like. PM me if you want to give us a look.

Mark

Back