BASC AGM & elections to Council

User00023

I regret to inform you that I was not successful in my bid to gain seat on Council.

My congratulations to returning vice chairman Mike Sherman, returning council member Paul Culley and new council member Claire Zambuni.

My thanks to all who cast a vote in my favour and your kind words of support in the run up to today's declarations.

Of more concern, however, should be the glaring lack of engagement in this process by members. Out of a membership of 130,000 only 2,705 participated in this election. With regard to the AGM itself, I doubt there were more than half a dozen ordinary members in attendance. In every respect, a woeful situation in which apathy appears to take centre stage.

Last edited:
I couldn't be there Richard, problem needed dealing with here, hard luck mate, but if you read through the candidate's offerings on the basc page, at least three of them are pushing for purchase of land for shooting, and more for members rather than being focused on old boy type networks etc.

I couldn't be there Richard, problem needed dealing with here, hard luck mate, but if you read through the candidate's offerings on the basc page, at least three of them are pushing for purchase of land for shooting, and more for members rather than being focused on old boy type networks etc.

Unlucy Richard. Maybe next year. If I had been a member, which I ceased to renew this year, I would have voted for you. You seem to actually care about shooting unlike others who just do it for an ego boost (despite our disagreements on acceptable tshirt designs).

I went to the BASC AGM back in the centenary year, and saw a disgraceful performance by their head of business, Philippa something. She was trying to add an amendment to the council's constitution that would restrict ex staff of BASC from joining council purely for the reason so they couldn't 'settle old scores' seemingly with members of basc staff when they returned as council as council. The feeling was it was her that most staff had issues with so it was back covering. Anyway, there was a vote, there seemed to be more votes against her motion that for, but it was called a tie, so there would have to be a special 'open' meeting to re-vote on it, of course no members turned up the first agm let alone the second agm, so at the second special meeting it was passed. IS THIS DEMOCRACY? no its the old boy mentality that we would have hoped people like richard could end

For many seeing a display like that is enough of a reason not to go.

Iwrch, dont know but hard luck and yes its a pity more members don't vote as i think the outcome could be a lot different and the organization a better one, and yes there is still two much of the old boy network within there ranks of BASC.

Tony

Hi Irwch...

Commiserations dyn mawr. All the guys and gals over at UK DEER ;)still offer you their ongoing support all the same.:D:D:D

Hwyl,

Rocky

Richard,
Sorry to learn that you weren't succesful, as you'd have been an asset to the Council.
All the best to you,
Rupert

Response from Christopher Graffius BASC to Souther Stalker

I went to the BASC AGM back in the centenary year, and saw a disgraceful performance by their head of business, Philippa something. She was trying to add an amendment to the council's constitution that would restrict ex staff of BASC from joining council purely for the reason so they couldn't 'settle old scores' seemingly with members of basc staff when they returned as council as council. The feeling was it was her that most staff had issues with so it was back covering. Anyway, there was a vote, there seemed to be more votes against her motion that for, but it was called a tie, so there would have to be a special 'open' meeting to re-vote on it, of course no members turned up the first agm let alone the second agm, so at the second special meeting it was passed. IS THIS DEMOCRACY? no its the old boy mentality that we would have hoped people like richard could end

For many seeing a display like that is enough of a reason not to go.

Christopher Graffius has forwarded a response to Southern Stalker's comments and asked that I post them on his behalf.

It would seem that Southern Stalker has gotten hold of the wrong end of the stick. As a BASC member Philippa Bursey is entitled to put forward a motion to the AGM as long as it is submitted in the correct manner and within the stipulated timeframe. In this particular instance the motion was withdrawn before the EGM took place and the constitution remained unchanged. An ex member of BASC staff was elected on to Council at the next AGM and remains on Council to this day so the post from Southern Stalker is not accurate and his assertions regarding a lack of democracy within BASC are unfortunately incorrect.

Back