Why so many Germans?

fester7

From an outsider looking in. (Ihave YET to take up stalking). Why are there so many accounts of German clients stalking over here in the shooting press? I would have thought that a Large country like Germany would have plenty opertunities of it's own.

Why are there so many Brits in Spain? LOL..only kidding. I think the idea of (at least speaking for up here) "Scottish Deer Stalking" to a lot of northern europeans, is one of great aspiration. I know coming from a scandinavia where Roe (and other) stalking is ample, going stalking in Scotland for example, is something to really tell the friends about & prepare for. Must be the whiskey, the hills, the history, and the thought that you could be stalking for a week and never manage a break from the rain! LOL.

PKL is correct I think, you can really "stalk" the hills and glens of Scotland, it's the whole package that they come for.
Plus the Germans hold stalking in such high regard they will spend a lot of money doing so.

Having had a German shooting friend back in the 80s when stationed there I can confirm the aspirational 'thing' plus the inherent German respect for our 'gentlemanly' sporting traditons quite as much as their own which were codified by Goering according to his tastes and which remain the basis of their game laws. Goering got rid of hunting by horse and hounds as he saw it as impinging on his shooting. While woodland German reds are massive compared to hill beasts the Monarch of the Glen image is inherently more romantic and the shooting set in Germany is that bit more well to do and likes to talk about African safaris and Scots ghillies over a schnapps or two.

As PKL said Scotland in particular is attractive to Europeans our hill stalking is pretty unique.

Also UK Roe stalking is popular with Europeans especially Belgians which 99% of my clients are the reasons being Belgium is a small country with a large population 11 million in a very small country where a large portion of the population hunt stalking is hard to come by in Belgium, and like anything else its supply and demand, stalking a cull buck in Belgium can cost anything up to a £1000
Even with travel costs and accommodation its cheaper for a Belgian to hunt in the UK than at home.

People here think stalking is expensive, they don't realise how lucky we are.

Many Belgian groups are now taking leases in the UK in fact HVV the Belgian hunting organisation are now doing DMQ 1 and 2 after sending staff over here to train, this is because there was a demand from there members for it, I would suspect purely as its easier to get a stalking lease in the UK with DMQ

Rudolph Hess had a stalking rifle on his person when he landed in Scotland to try and end the 2nd World War... + the quality and quantity is here and i have heard Belgium is almost shot out. A Fife buck may just be the buck of thier life?

Also my german clients say that there are so many people shooting that bucks never really get that old, our medium bucks are mostly better than their best, apart from the odd few.

As PKL said Scotland in particular is attractive to Europeans our hill stalking is pretty unique.

Also UK Roe stalking is popular with Europeans especially Belgians which 99% of my clients are the reasons being Belgium is a small country with a large population 11 million in a very small country where a large portion of the population hunt stalking is hard to come by in Belgium, and like anything else its supply and demand, stalking a cull buck in Belgium can cost anything up to a £1000
Even with travel costs and accommodation its cheaper for a Belgian to hunt in the UK than at home.

People here think stalking is expensive, they don't realise how lucky we are.

Many Belgian groups are now taking leases in the UK in fact HVV the Belgian hunting organisation are now doing DMQ 1 and 2 after sending staff over here to train, this is because there was a demand from there members for it, I would suspect purely as its easier to get a stalking lease in the UK with DMQ

I think its avery good idea that Hunters from overseas should have some proof of thier ability, before they are let loose in our countryside,unfortunatly waving wads of cash seems to work better for them.
My mate inhereted some forgien stalkers when he took over a lease, they have been comming for many years and thier money covers a fair chunk of the lease,he was less than impressed when the first 3 bucks came into the larder,but was told that he would have to get used to it!!!
030.jpg

"Jesus" Tony,When you told me about those "stalkers" from overseas i didnt think they were that bad.Unbelievable.
Atb John

I think its avery good idea that Hunters from overseas should have some proof of thier ability, before they are let loose in our countryside,unfortunatly waving wads of cash seems to work better for them.
My mate inhereted some forgien stalkers when he took over a lease, they have been comming for many years and thier money covers a fair chunk of the lease,he was less than impressed when the first 3 bucks came into the larder,but was told that he would have to get used to it!!!
030.jpg

Yeah, not very tidy... but how fast were they running at the time?

So they are coming over here just to shoot things that 'tick the box' in their hunting memoirs? Do we extend the welcome again to these people just for their money, because if anyone on this site posted photos like this of their shooting/gralloching skills they would be ripped to bits by the criticism.

Looks like the rats chewed the legs off the middle one in Nell's picture - I'm saying that and I'm sh'ite at taking the legs off deer!

Hopefully these are to be sold off to Butchers Choice for dog food? :D

So they are coming over here just to shoot things that 'tick the box' in their hunting memoirs? Do we extend the welcome again to these people just for their money, because if anyone on this site posted photos like this of their shooting/gralloching skills they would be ripped to bits by the criticism.

Looks like the rats chewed the legs off the middle one in Nell's picture - I'm saying that and I'm sh'ite at taking the legs off deer!

Hopefully these are to be sold off to Butchers Choice for dog food? :D[/QUO

I thing the legs are the result of a bullet not someone trying to remove them, however going by the pics not very impressed, but anyone can make a bad shot, as I have said 99% of my clients are continentals, all I can say overall is that their shooting is no worse nor better than anyone else's.

Germany and the scandinavian coutries have mandatory shooting licensing, which take a lot of studying and practice to acheive. You are not able to buy a hunting rifle without it, so I think we are lucky on that count.

The photo of the lardered deer is unfortunate and we arn't given enough info to make a valid assessment, but given that UK stalkers are not required to take a test of skill or knowledge before shooting at deer, is there just the slightest chance that there might be more horrors going on out there than we would like to think.

I can recall some 25-30 years ago when I was still farming, that large numbers of roe were shotgunned on vermin drives and only the fact that the continentals came here and gave them a value and showed us "De Pirsch" that we stared to treat them as we should. When I started stalking roe i was the only person in the area that did and when I asked around for stalking my farmer neighbours would laugh and say get on with it. In germany at that time i suspect you could not find a farm that was not stalked, so that is why they are here, the pressure is no where near as high here as there.

Germany and the scandinavian coutries have mandatory shooting licensing, which take a lot of studying and practice to acheive. You are not able to buy a hunting rifle without it, so I think we are lucky on that count.

The photo of the lardered deer is unfortunate and we arn't given enough info to make a valid assessment, but given that UK stalkers are not required to take a test of skill or knowledge before shooting at deer, is there just the slightest chance that there might be more horrors going on out there than we would like to think.

I can recall some 25-30 years ago when I was still farming, that large numbers of roe were shotgunned on vermin drives and only the fact that the continentals came here and gave them a value and showed us "De Pirsch" that we stared to treat them as we should. When I started stalking roe i was the only person in the area that did and when I asked around for stalking my farmer neighbours would laugh and say get on with it. In germany at that time i suspect you could not find a farm that was not stalked, so that is why they are here, the pressure is no where near as high here as there.

Very true I can also remember the horror of the shotgun drives.

Thanks for making that point doghound, if it were not for our continental friends Roe would still be treated as vermin.
However it's not only the roe that foreign sportsmen come to Britain for, stalking in the hills of Scotland it something that is unique to this part of the world, the long stalk, the stop for lunch, the long drag back to ponies or argo, the dram etc what a topic when you get home again, no one I mean no one does it it's done in the UK.

Yeah, not very tidy... but how fast were they running at the time?

all the clients ive ever taken out are all german dutch french spanish its the stalking and country they come for, as for being trigger happy you have never seen buck fever untill you have had to take the rifle off a client because he was shakeing so much or had to wresle the rifle of a german who has just taken 2 shots at a running roe doe out stalking a buck and was going for the third! photoes like this dont suprise me one bit. some thing else it if they bring their own guns they are always some crack pot massive caliber for roe like the 30-06 and scoff and look at you silly when you say "no today we use .223" if they dont have their own gun

I was talking to a hill Stalker who had to take a couple of Germans out on the hill after red stags. The chap shot a stag in the gut and after a lengthy follow up the stalker had to finish it off for the client When he got them back off the hill he asked what went wrong and the client replied he always aims between the front leg and the arse. I must add the stalker had already tod them were too shoot the beast they just took no notice. :eek:

Back