firing pin

Stacey

Hiya, looking for a bit of advice, i've got a 22-250 and was cleaning it today, took the bolt out and the firing pin sprung. It wont fit back into the gun. Does anyone know how to reset the bolt??

Stacey

Stacey

With my Sako 75 it's easy to turn the bolt shroud when cleaning it and end up with bits on the floor. It sounds like you have got things back together but have the bolt turned as it would be when chambered and ready to fire. If that is the case turn the bolt shroud gently clockwise with respect to the bolt until it engages in an indent. If that works, then check there is no ammunition in the rifle and try putting the bolt back in and dry firing it in a safe direction. If it's a Mannlicher Pro-Hunter the story is similar, but there is a twist in the tale. In the Mannlicher there is a hidden collar that engages with the bolt lugs. Enthusiastic cleaning can rotate the collar so that the lugs clash and the bolt won't close up. The collar needs to be rotated by trial and error until the bolt closes up as normal.

As Private Fraser says, make/type of rifle will help.

Good luck. JCS

Last edited:
If it's like most bolt guns, you need to rotate the cocking piece/gas shield. If you can't do it by hand, hook the cocking piece on the edge of a wooden bench and pull down on the bolt body. Turn it once back. Good luck.~Muir

Whoa! Internet delay! I see this question was answered already!:)

If it's like most bolt guns, you need to rotate the cocking piece/gas shield. If you can't do it by hand, hook the cocking piece on the edge of a wooden bench and pull down on the bolt body. Turn it once back. Good luck.~Muir

Whoa! Internet delay! I see this question was answered already!:)

+1 a bit worrying first time it happens, but as Muir says bench etc , fence post if you are in the field

Back