Newbie to the Forum

Deputy Dawg

Hello to All

My name is Gareth.
I work as a full time council operative ( BIN MAN ) not cleanest of jobs but it pays the bills.
I'm out going 36yr old who likes a laugh an joke.
Hobbies are shooting an fishing and i try to both as much as possible.
I have been shooting for yrs with experienced shooters whether using shotguns or centerfire. Though iv only had my SGC for 3 yrs an FAC for coming up 2yrs.
I own a Winchester SX3 semi auto shotgun that i use for rough walk up shooting an decoying. I have a .17hmr rifle which i use for medium to long range vermin control and iv just had my variation through for .243 caliber though not bought as yet.
I have never been deer stalking before an have no experience in this field of center fire
shooting. Though my .243 will be used mostly for fox control over my permissions.
I hope to move onto deer stalking in the near future.

Any quetsions you would like to ask, feel free.
I will try an answer them all asap

ATB

Gareth

Thanks Bogtrotter and hello to you.

Seen hundreds of deer while out with the guns, but never ever been out stalking. Been promised a few times
but always let down. So after this site being recommended by a fellow member. I thought it was worth a go at getting some good advice from people in the know.
An hopefully put me on the right track to getting some stalking done in near future.

Hurry up and get rifle up and running plenty of decent rifles and scopes on here. atb paul

I'm trying my hardest to get the money in as soon as possible. Its just as soon as i get some money
it always seems to needed a little more importantly some where else. I may take one out on finance with Avalon
guns. They got a Tikka T3 Lite for £770, over the year an a little interest, i'll be paying out £843. So not a great
deal over the top. I can concentrate on get a decent scope then with the money i have got oh an mod to go
on end like lol. Not the route i wanted to go down, but don't see any other option.

I'm trying my hardest to get the money in as soon as possible. Its just as soon as i get some money
it always seems to needed a little more importantly some where else. I may take one out on finance with Avalon
guns. They got a Tikka T3 Lite for £770, over the year an a little interest, i'll be paying out £843. So not a great
deal over the top. I can concentrate on get a decent scope then with the money i have got oh an mod to go
on end like lol. Not the route i wanted to go down, but don't see any other option.

Buy the best scope you can afford don't be frightened of s/h same with rifle plenty good s/h about as for mod nice to have but not essential, just buy basics you can always upgrade when funds allow,don't loose out on the chance to stalk just because you can't afford the best.

Hi Deputy Dawg

I worked on the bin wagons many years ago, not the clearness of jobs but a good set of blokes to work with; the lifts on the back can be pretty complicated. I rode a few miles on the top of a bin wagons while the lads were collecting bins trying to find out which relay was failing, don’t suppose you would get away with it today with elth and fing safety.:evil:

No need to spend a lot of money on a new rifle, a second hand one will do you absolutely fine, there are some bargains on here from time to time, Parker Hales for under £200, I sold a Stainless Steel Howa for £350 and it had a custom Du-coat finish on it that cost well over £100. A fix power scope in 6X42 can be found of German Manufacture for under £200. with that set up you will be able to shoot just as many deer with one costing 4 times that.

ATB

Tahr

second hand 243 steyr pro mountain A1 condition i have it on classifieds pm if your interested in no hurry to sell its got a mod as well
welcome and regards
norma

Last edited:
It is very easy to get carried away by desire to buy something a bit more expensive than you originally intended.

I bought a new Browning 'A' bolt for less than £500 which left me more cash to buy a good scope.

Good luck !!

Brianm

Welcome to the site. If only all new members made such an interesting and comprehensive intro such as yours it would make Admins life easier.

Good luck with your new rifle when you find the one that suits you.

ATB

Sikamalc

Thanks for that Sikamalc, i honestly thought i may have over cooked the intro, more like life history lol.
I'm keeping my eye out for a good second hand example.
Failing that i'll buy new as original planned. Fancy a Tikka T3 Lite as iv had one or two in my hands and they feel about right
for me and what i want to do with it.
As for scope iv decided on Swarovski or Ziess, preferabley vari mag instead of fixed mag.
Always liked being able to see that little bit further.

Hopefully it wont be to long in getting it.
So i can start getting to grips with it an then start sorting them foxes out and hopefully a
bit of stalking along the way.

Thanks to all that have welcomed me to the forum.

Gareth

Last edited:
Back