Hi - I live in the Herefordshire area, having moved from the from North Hertfordshire area a number of years ago (were I grew up with fallow and muntjac stalking) and have yet to establish some this area (which is very distressing!). There is nothing better than the dawn on a crisp autumn/winters day to raise the hairs on the back of the neck, or 'true at first light' as Papa Hemingway described it. I have also done quite alot of roe stalking in Thetford, Kielder and D&G as well as going to the hill a few times. All B.C. (before children). My children are all under five so that also limits activities alot - ie reloading has to be done when the little darlings are all asleep etc!!!!!!!!
I love classic sporting rifles and calibres but practically the main stalking rifle I use (when I get across to my parents in Hertfordshire) is a 7mm08 sako which is a very trusted freind! I have just joined the Hereford Breach loading rifle club and I am now in the process of building a heavy hunter/ target rifle on a tikka 695 action and am investigating rebarrelling options for a 30 06 - Any ideas/ recommendations for riflesmiths for the Hereford area welcome.
Also - If any one requires a hand with the doe cull in the Herefordshire/Worcetershire/Gloucestershire area I would be very gratefull!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!
Plus - If any one has a German scope vari to 9 power with a rail underneath and center reticle zeroing I would be very interested.
Regards and happy hunting - Karamoja