4x4

PAULT

Ill shortly be looking for a cheap 4x4 any ideas dont want anything to big vitara or pajero would be ok and dont want to spend to much cash atb paul

Daihatsu Fourtrak. Solid, reliable, cheap, good 4X4 system. If anything does go wrong they're easy to fix needing nothing more than a simple tool kit. Just try and get one that's been reasonably well looked after otherwise the dreaded rust gets in!!!

Or even for really cheap and cheerful a Jimny, they look particularly fetching in Gold... (ask Kalahari!)

Paul,

If you are thinking of using it to make the looooong run to and from Aberdeen, I'd look for something fuel efficient - I like the LWB 2.0 diesel Suzuki Vitara, as it scrapes the bottom of 40mpg, has loads of room, reasonable road manners and is light enough not to bugger up the ground if the going is a bit soft off road. Someone sold a mint one on here a few months ago for £800 with years of life left in it. If you want to spend a bit more, look at the four door Toyota Rav4 - fits the same criteria.

You can pick up Shoguns, Troopers etc dirt cheap but they will be thirsty on long motorway runs. I'd like to see you and Mumbles trying to get in and out of a Suzuki Jimny :lol::lol:

I know where there's a very well used Disco' going cheap - smells of chip fat and dead stuff but knows its own way to Scotland...

A.

I would have a look at frontera/trooper,not so good on the fuel but otherwise a very good 4x4 on and off the road.

Just came back from the sales 03 xtrail went for £2000 the vitara i fancied 02 plate 3 door went for £950 03 plate subaru forester went for £1650 land rover discovery 03 td5 went for £3800 was a cracker to and no dead things hiding in it.

Paul,

If you are thinking of using it to make the looooong run to and from Aberdeen, I'd look for something fuel efficient - I like the LWB 2.0 diesel Suzuki Vitara, as it scrapes the bottom of 40mpg, has loads of room, reasonable road manners and is light enough not to bugger up the ground if the going is a bit soft off road. Someone sold a mint one on here a few months ago for £800 with years of life left in it. If you want to spend a bit more, look at the four door Toyota Rav4 - fits the same criteria.

You can pick up Shoguns, Troopers etc dirt cheap but they will be thirsty on long motorway runs. I'd like to see you and Mumbles trying to get in and out of a Suzuki Jimny :lol::lol:
I know where there's a very well used Disco' going cheap - smells of chip fat and dead stuff but knows its own way to Scotland...

A.
Mostly on the wrong side of the road.

Mostly on the wrong side of the road.

You're right - I should have said "smells of chip fat, dead stuff and fear..." :eek::lol:

Of the stuff you've looked at, the Vitara is the one but try and get a diesel engine (made by Izuzu, last forever). X Trails are brilliant (I have one) but early ones suffered from chronic expensive turbo problems.

A.

Last edited:
Theres a 2.0 td for sale just down the road ill have a look tomorrow its a w plate he wants £2195 for it now weres mumblers wallet atb paul

Back