.22LR Moderator - Which One to buy ???

deeangeo

I've tried a few moderators on my rimmy over the years and need to buy one.
I suppose I've never been really impressed by the usual ones i.e. Parker Hale & Sako, but just who makes one that is very quiet & doesn't have a stupid price tag?
Anyone out there have any thoughts on this?

I'm amazed you haven't got on well with the parker hale mod I've got one on my bruno and have always been of the opinion that the loudest part when firing is the click of the firing pin! But that's with sub sonic ammo
Anyway if you don't like the parker hale etc it might be worth trying a sac mod I find their also very good.

I reckon SAK are probably one of the best on the market and If you cannot get one anywhere else cheaper, I have a brand new one for sale £35 including P&P

I would tend to go with EMcC and the SAK for value ratio though the 'Decimeater' ? ( not too sure on the spelling without opening up the workshop ) ( Highland Outdoors ) are also very good and if your thinking about .17 go for the FAC version.......its flame proof !
DONT FORGET ITS CLASSED AS A FIREARM AND NEEDS ENTERING ON YOUR CERTIFICATE BY THE SELLER. ( as you state here that its for your .22LR )

I'm amazed you haven't got on well with the parker hale mod I've got one on my bruno and have always been of the opinion that the loudest part when firing is the click of the firing pin! But that's with sub sonic ammo
Anyway if you don't like the parker hale etc it might be worth trying a sac mod I find their also very good.

+1 took the words out of my mouth. firing pin click then thump of lead on rabbit. friend had a sac we compared that and the parker hale. could not tell any differance between the two as far as noise goes. sac was slightly lighter if i remember rightly but larger in diameter so was more noticeable in a scope with low mounts. hope this helps

pj

Ive had a scirroco and a sak. The sak lives on it now. To be honest i dont think theres much in it but the report sounds a bit less metalic with the sak. Its also a bit shorter which is handy shooting from the truck. At the expencive end theres DM 80s, I have never tried one and im not to sure i could justify spending £80ish on a rimfire mod.

you can get quieter ones than SAK but you will pay for them in cash and weight.
it is like anything in this world. the last 10% of performance cost 100% more than the previous 50%!

I have one that is designed for the HMR which I use to very good effect on my .22 with subs. but it is heavy compared to the hair curler ones

i use a ase utra dont know what they cost now but i payed £60 for it years ago so it may have gone up in price but i havnt personally found another mod as good as it for quiteness but to be honest your only talking a few decibells so you have to ask yourself is it really worth it

Bought a sporter 21" barrelled Finnfire last year and tried a very old Parker Hale, a newer Parker Hale, an Ase-Utra, an SAK and a Sirocco SM2.

Settled on the Sirocco cos it was lighter, quieter and gave the best groups with Eley subs and cheaper at a bargain £20.

Got an AseUtra on the CZ 17HMR though, excellent on that.

Last edited:
Tried my new A-Tec CMM4 Rimfire a few hours ago. Very happy with the results, quiet even with standard velocity ammo, well made and light(105g). Don't know what they cost in the UK but I can recommend it.
Toby

Ive tried Parker hale + Sak moderators you can not tell the difference with the human ear no matter where you stand in relation to the blast the only noise you get is the firing pin and the thud as you hit your target ! Basicly your looking for something that does not exist

Tried my new A-Tec CMM4 Rimfire a few hours ago. Very happy with the results, quiet even with standard velocity ammo, well made and light(105g). Don't know what they cost in the UK but I can recommend it.
Toby
They cost a lot more over here and to pay such a high sum for a .22rf moderator is being a little bit extravagant.
Incidentally, do you have the same rigmarole when buying moderators in Norway as we do here in UK?

Concur with all the PH fans, I have one on my Annie carbine, looks excellent and performs v well and cost £20 (steel). Can't go wrong. Have Air Arms one on my .22 S100 pcp and a Logun one on my FAC Daystate.

JLS do a good range of moddies as do Sandwell Field Sports.

D

I guess it's not that the PH or SAK & other moderators don't work, it's more that .22LR ammo is inconsistant & there are always a number in the box with just a bit more propellant in causing a louder crack.
I'm trying to find a more efficient moderator that will limit the additional noise a bit better.

I know if the bullet goes super-sonic there's nothing to be done, it's just finding something that may work with a bit more tolerance. If there's nothing out there, then that's it.......but there just may be, & at sensible money too, say up to around £80

I have a PES overbarrel on mine but it is used on my WMR, HMR and 17M2 as well.
very effective, more so than the PH which I have tried back to back on the rifle.
excellent build quality, stainless, TIG welded, one piece outer and partially strippable

not cheap though.....

i have had a couple of different ones on the 22lr. i have a logun now and its very good. sak are pretty go. ase mod for the rimfire is great but very long

Back