best powder for243 v max combo!

speedystu

Hi all i have just tested a load i made of 75gr v max with varget powder between 38gr to 41gr which is the max load! the problem is the case is only half full! and the groups i am getting are the same between the two weights! now is there or do you use a different powder that will fill the case or their abouts?

Cheers stu..

thanks steve, how "full" is the case with the aa ? as the varget only just half fills it so it wont be an instant burn from the primmer for me thats why i need a more dense powder

I use 46grns of H414, CCI magnum primers and 70grn Ballistic tips seated between 1965 & 2233 on the ogee depending on which rifle. This load has worked very well in the 3 .243's I've had/got and at least 4 other rifles I know of. So I think that covers a Sako, 2 Tikkas, RWS, 2 Blasers (Sporter and Match) and a Ruger

atb
FBW

looking at all the other loading sites it looks like h414 is the way ahead! so will give this bunny a try! thanks all. stu

imr 4007ssc would be worth a try. i use it in my 22/250 it give's great fps speed,accuracy and great case fill

Can't find my load data for the 75 they were an experiment. I settled on 70g nosler bts with 44 grains of h414

Atb Steve

target.jpghi mate "again" do you have the full recipet for this load including the full case and bullet length case used and primmer? sorry to be a pain as i have been using varget and could not get a good group well not as good as yours!!!:) Thanks stu..

Last edited:
I use 38gn H4895 with 75gn V-max ,haven't loaded any for a while but don't think it fillls the case but more than half full that's for sure.

Tikka T3 Super Varmint

Load is

Lapua Brass
CCI 450 Primer
37.0 Grn Varget
75Grn Hornady V-Max

Seating depth (to ogive) is 2.2400 which is -5thou off the lands in my rifle.

I chrono'd that load at avg 2967fps last weekend

Here's another photo -

c5ab5b72551bae865c3d9d8e606b3045.jpg

4 shots at 120 yards form my 243 - Ok one zeroing shot was adrift, but once I'd altered the windage I went for a 3 shot group.

Goes to show that it can be repeated
smile.gif

Last edited:
hi i use 80 spbt seirra code 1515 and winchester 760 44 grain rem prim set 2.64 inch in a tikka lh T3 3300 fps

Back