RWS TITAN

thomas

Hi all,

After some help from those more ballistically informed than me!! I have just purchased a (new) heavy barreled RWS Ttitan in .22 -250. I have tried to zero but with little success. Admittedly I have only tried Federal ammunition so far, but I would have expected at least some sort of group unless this rifle really dislikes this ammo? I have tried two scopes as check and adjusted the trigger pull down to match my other rifles. I have put on the T8 mod off my 30-06( minus bush) until I get a dedicated mod for this rifle, could this be the problem? Not tried shooting it without a mod, but seems to spraying shots around like a garden hose at both 50 and 100yds.

Thanks

Tom

thomas said:
Hi all,

After some help from those more ballistically informed than me!! I have just purchased a (new) heavy barreled RWS Ttitan in .22 -250. I have tried to zero but with little success. Admittedly I have only tried Federal ammunition so far, but I would have expected at least some sort of group unless this rifle really dislikes this ammo? I have tried two scopes as check and adjusted the trigger pull down to match my other rifles. I have put on the T8 mod off my 30-06( minus bush) until I get a dedicated mod for this rifle, could this be the problem? Not tried shooting it without a mod, but seems to spraying shots around like a garden hose at both 50 and 100yds.

Thanks

Tom

Tom, lets assume that the scope rings are tight etc, you've checked the action screws etc. Take the mod off, put some ear protection on and try it, that will eliminate the mod or not, if it still sprays check to see if the barrel is free floating, ie the fore - end not touching the barrel anywhere, finally if it is brand new have you 'burnt' the barrel in.

If you've done all that and still get the same results, you need to try different ammo until you find one the barrel likes

Sorry if this is a bit patronising but I dont know how experienced you are.

Regards

Fairly unlike that it is the moderator, but check buy taking bolt out and looking through the back if you can see anything of the moderator through the bore. Then check if the bore of the mod was touched by a bullet. As Buck say's try without mod just to be sure.
I run my mod without a bush on my 22-250 without problems.
How large is the grouping? Stock touching should still group under 2".
What is the twist in the rifle?
edi

Thanks Buck & ejg.

I have indeed checked barrel for clearance, run it in and made sure action screws are tight. Scope rings are all good and tight too.

I will try without mod later and see if it shoots any better! Perhaps federal ammo doesn't agree with this rifle? So this one is easily fixed, went for federal as it shoots well out of my prohunters.

I am just very suprised; I have never known a rifle shoot groups so big and wide in 25 years of shooting CF rifles; perhaps I have just been lucky!

Thanks

Tom

I am just very suprised; I have never known a rifle shoot groups so big and wide in 25 years of shooting CF rifles; perhaps I have just been lucky!

I dont think its luck Tom, generally most new rifles shoot a decentish group from the start, it has got to be something loose or fouling the harmonics.

I hope it isnt but check the crown, it should be even with no dings or jagged edges or suchlike.

I assume you have a decent scope? So I would be very suspicious of the Mod. It sounds like it may be not aligned, the threads may be different on your 30.06.So try it as has been suggested.I always found Federal shot very well in my Ruger .22-250 but you never can tell.

An obvious question, and the answers probably 'yes' - but have you cleaned it?

I fired mine (243) new from the box and it took 20 rounds just to get the scope roughly zeroed. Then I got bored and cleaned it, and a lot of muck came out, much more than I had expected.

Had I not been bored I would have left it 40-50 rounds or more before cleaning - I don't know what effect this would have had on the groups.

Some people's rifles shoot for ever without a clean, some need it quite often.

I now need a day on the range to see how many I can fire before it becomes an issue.

Thanks everyone for their help and suggestions. I had tried pretty much all the obvious except trying without the mod.

Having spoken to a few people who shoot this calibre including another Titan owner it sounded like a case of try a different brand of ammunition! The Titan owner also told me his rifle shot better with a lighter bullet; so one box of Remington Accutips later and BINGO!! Nice clover leaf groups. I tried the Federals again to make sure and as before they were way off the mark!

The Accutips are 50 grain and the Federals were 55 grain, but the ballistic tip on the Remington's must help towards better accuracy.

Thanks again..

Tom

Had a similar problem with Feds through my Mannlicher. Awful, anything else is just fine.

hi frax, what model is your mannlicher? I have two steyr's, a 243 and 30-06
And federal work fine through both of them. I have never known such a huge gap in accuracy between brands through a rifle. Live and learn!

Hi Thomas

It's a Pro Hunter SS in 6.5. I thought it was me at first but I switched back to PMC and the problem went away. Still got another 20 to get through. Guess I'll go and have a blast and just reuse the brass, so not all lost!

Hi Thomas

I had a similar experience with my .308 Titan 6 which I had broken-in by the book etc. It also disliked Federal ammunition, and others. I got in contact with Roessler Waffen Systems in Austria who manufacture the Titan, the manager, Walter Roessler, replied and advised me to use either RWS or Geco ammunition. I opted for Geco ammunition (as it's a good bit cheaper!) and the difference was remarkable. The rifle's performance and accuracy was completely transformed, almost as if I had a different rifle. As a result, I am now very content with my Titan 6. So if in doubt seek the manufacturers advice.

Back