Which Red Dot Sight and Why?

maccer

Hi

Anyone that has read some of my other posts may have noticed that I am getting quite interested in driven boar. Now I plan to do some next year:)

But there seems to be a lot of variation in the optics people use (or not). I think I will use a red dot sight of some kind.

There might be 2 or 3 main contenders but I thought it would be useful to do a straw poll and see who uses which red dot sight and what their opinion of that sight is.

Cheers

Maccer

I use a Zeiss Z Point on my 9.3x62, a Zeiss Compact on both my MP5 and TP9. Eotech and Aimpoint do great red dot sights as well, but not sure how they would look on a hunting rifle!

Aimpoint micro on my slug gun. Aimpoint , best quality and made in Sweden. They look good on a rifle as well. No cheap chinky crap on my weapons:stir:

I went with the cheap chinky crap and its spot on,i shoot driven boar 3 days a year so whats the point of spending a small fortune????
DSC00259.jpg

I bought a cheap red dot a few years back and so did a fellow club member they didn't work out for us. In both cases the red dot sights (reflex type) failed to hold zero. Mine is still in my gun room gathering dust and that was only fitted on a .357 my friends was fitted on a .44
My personal choice would be a low powered adjustable scope with an illuminated reticule, something like a 1-6x42 of decent manufacture. My thoughts are that you would then have the best of both worlds and something far more versatile than just a red dot.
If I were to go for just a red dot it would have to be a Doctor or a real Aimpoint.

My personal choice would be a low powered adjustable scope with an illuminated reticule, something like a 1-6x42 of decent manufacture. My thoughts are that you would then have the best of both worlds and something far more versatile than just a red dot.
If I were to go for just a red dot it would have to be a Doctor or a real Aimpoint.

Don't mean to hijack the thread but do you mean something like the new Zeiss Duralyt? I was thinking along the same lines and they do a nice looking 2-8 x 42. Not cheap but probably quite versatile...

No, I would want 1 to 1.5 as the starting point, and wouldn't want to go to such as high a magnification at the top end for the rifles that I would use it on.
I had a look at a few Zeiss Duralyt scopes but didn't think they were that good optically compared to others such as the Swarvorski, S&B or even Meopta scopes of this type. There again it comes down to personal choice and preferences. The Duralyt range is really aimed at the lower end of the market and doesn't compare to the better quality Zeiss scopes which really are some of the best.

Back