any ideas?

re'M'ington

I skinned a Roe Buck today,and,found this under the skin,and,was wondering what it might be.I thought that it might be a Warble fly egg sac,but,that is just a guess,and,I am confident that someone on here will have thye answer,so here it is......................
IMG_3855.jpg

It's not a nasty colour, or inflamed -to me it looks like a fatty deposit, esp if it was soft and when incised had that same colour/consistency throughout.

Was it visible/felt as as hard lump from the surface of the skin?

I would have thought fies laid their eggs in the skin not under it, and that's very big for a group of eggs.

Mind you there are lots of nasties out there which most will never come across in their lives - Morna will save us if he's around!

Mind you, I got worried when I found my first haemal/haemalytic lymph node so what do I know!

Snowstorm,Warble Flies do actually lay their eggs under the skin,and,it actually can ruin a Cattle skin,as it will leave a big hole when it hatches,I'm not saying that this is an egg sac,but,I am uncertain as to what else it could be.It was a seperate entity,and,was not noticeable from the outside...........Martin.

I am pretty sure the warblefly found in deer are a different species to those found in cattle and are not notifiable....

Just double checked, and from what I gather here in the UK there are two species of warble fly which can infest cattle: Hypoderma bovis and Hypoderma lineatum, while the species commonly found in deer is Hypoderma Diana..

Hypoderma Diana does not infect cattle although they have been found in sheep and horses, but are not considered to be a major parasite of them...

Deer warblefly infestations on deer are not notifiable...

It's not a tapeworm cyst; they are normally found inside the body cavity, round(ish) and filled with fluid. Size anything from a large marble up to a golf ball.

This is most interesting. I am now somewhat confused myself? The warble fly lays its eggs on the hocks of deer. When hatched they then migrate as grubs under the skin to the rump and back area's. It is in the spring that they burrow through the skin and drop off to pupate into a fly. The picture does not look as though these are grubs. It appears as a mass of eggs?

PREDATORCONTROL,

I hope my posts about whether warblefly in deer are notifiable or not didn't confuse the issue.

I don't think this particular picture is of warble or tape worm, but I'm not really qualified to say..

Regards,

Peter

Looks like a bit of fatty tissue to me and i would certainly have eaten it .Like said nothing really that has,nt been seen near kidneys etc.
ps if your ill after eating it its not my fault :p

remington
apologies for late reply to your query but have had a friend from Australia staying and we have been reminiscing of our time in africa.
A rhino that gave the landrover a bump start. A half dead Lioness that proved the other half very much alive. A Lion who objected to have needles stuck in him and wanted to take matters further.
I digress
differential diagnosis
Not warble as there would be a track.
Not tapeworm as would be a see through bladder with little white bits floating around inside (scolices- head bits ) normally in body cavity.
Not an abscess as would be reddend blood vessels around it.
Probably a lipoma (fat tumour ) which is non cancerous.
morena

Back