Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: any ideas?

any ideas?

I skinned a Roe Buck today,and,found this under the skin,and,was wondering what it might be.I thought that it might be a Warble fly egg sac,but,that is just a guess,and,I am confident that someone on here will have thye answer,so here it is......................

It's not a nasty colour, or inflamed -to me it looks like a fatty deposit, esp if it was soft and when incised had that same colour/consistency throughout.

Was it visible/felt as as hard lump from the surface of the skin?

I would have thought fies laid their eggs in the skin not under it, and that's very big for a group of eggs.

Mind you there are lots of nasties out there which most will never come across in their lives - Morna will save us if he's around!

Mind you, I got worried when I found my first haemal/haemalytic lymph node so what do I know!

Snowstorm,Warble Flies do actually lay their eggs under the skin,and,it actually can ruin a Cattle skin,as it will leave a big hole when it hatches,I'm not saying that this is an egg sac,but,I am uncertain as to what else it could be.It was a seperate entity,and,was not noticeable from the outside...........Martin.

Tapeworm egg sac ????

I think tapeworm shed sections which are passed out of the animal and eaten by others. They can burrow out of the intenstine but I doubt they get as far as the skin.

Did you incise it ?

I just found this - ugh.

I also just found this :

Doesn't look like what is described here, but it's notifable.

I am pretty sure the warblefly found in deer are a different species to those found in cattle and are not notifiable....

Just double checked, and from what I gather here in the UK there are two species of warble fly which can infest cattle: Hypoderma bovis and Hypoderma lineatum, while the species commonly found in deer is Hypoderma Diana..

Hypoderma Diana does not infect cattle although they have been found in sheep and horses, but are not considered to be a major parasite of them...

Deer warblefly infestations on deer are not notifiable...

I have seen similar posted in the past from rabbits etc and it was deemed to be tape worm lavre!!

It's not a tapeworm cyst; they are normally found inside the body cavity, round(ish) and filled with fluid. Size anything from a large marble up to a golf ball.

This is most interesting. I am now somewhat confused myself? The warble fly lays its eggs on the hocks of deer. When hatched they then migrate as grubs under the skin to the rump and back area's. It is in the spring that they burrow through the skin and drop off to pupate into a fly. The picture does not look as though these are grubs. It appears as a mass of eggs?