Early signs of the Roe Rut

Wallace Grant

On route this morning to my brothers estate in inverness shire i saw 2 seperate Bucks chasing does, one came within 60 yards of the pick up hard on the tail of the doe and he was a cracking mature animal. While stalking on the estate i saw another Buck courting a doe and he ended up in the larder. Culled another poor animal with a damaged head, one normal 2 point antler, the other was still in velvet and was set straight out on the left side, just above the left eye towards the nose both antlers were around 6 1/2 inches, he was around 2 years old and had very little summer coat.

Hello Wallace - shot a buck myself a week ago chasing a doe and saw others as well? Seems very early, but I have heard quite a few have been taken on the Black Isle chasing does. A friend of mine took a gold medal there yesterday. Having said that every thing seems early with the deer this season. Cast early, velvet well advanced with a lot of stags in full head and in superb condition. Bill.

Contrary to what has been said on the issue in another thread the rut will not be starting in approx another month.Does do not all come in at once and as Bill said,the season seems to be earlier and im presuming its maybe down to the dry and half decent spell we are having.Last weekend i saw the first two pairs,one mostly chasing but the second one was running a ring and figure of eight non stop for almost the 10 minutes i watched them.Short of seeing him jumping her,i would bet money that they were rutting.Last year i saw an early pair also,and them and this years early ones were running in parks of cut silage.Far from being sure,but i put it down to the machine killing the kids cutting and the does coming in early because of that????Always keep an open mind with deer,as there are always exceptions to the rule.Just because someone else hasnt seen it,or done it,doesnt mean it doesnt happen.

Well IMHO this happens every year and most people just jump the gun . I also seen fighting this morning with a pair of real big bucks later one of the big bucks then pursued a doe and she ran and turned and ran and turned. I had a doe stud in front of me and a yearling buck chasing a young doe whose life was spared with the rain.
Is this the rut NO CHANCE this is very normal behavior for the time of year. The sap is starting to rise in the young bucks and they don't know what the f to do and start stupid attempts to move in on other bucks territory. Old bucks who have been quite content in the 2 or three acres have now started to widen there range this will include a few does and a few mammy,s boys who will not be tolerated and does will also get chased out but will not leave because there young are lying in cover. This leads to mature bucks leaving the adult does but anything else is ejected no mater what the sex is. When the season starts you will know it that's for sure. So please don't rush out with your little rubber ball and start squeezing the black bulbous bit lol. ps i have bee wrong before keep the post coming.;)
PS SAKO YOU ARE CORRECT THEY WILL COME IN TO SEASON AT DIFFERNT TIMES BUT NOT NORMALLY IN JUNE I HAVE NEVER KNOWN IT

Last edited:
Well IMHO this happens every year and most people just jump the gun . I also seen fighting this morning with a pair of real big bucks later one of the big bucks then pursued a doe and she ran and turned and ran and turned. I had a doe stud in front of me and a yearling buck chasing a young doe whose life was spared with the rain.
Is this the rut NO CHANCE this is very normal behavior for the time of year. The sap is starting to rise in the young bucks and they don't know what the f to do and start stupid attempts to move in on other bucks territory. Old bucks who have been quite content in the 2 or three acres have now started to widen there range this will include a few does and a few mammy,s boys who will not be tolerated and does will also get chased out but will not leave because there young are lying in cover. This leads to mature bucks leaving the adult does but anything else is ejected no mater what the sex is. When the season starts you will know it that's for sure. So please don't rush out with your little rubber ball and start squeezing the black bulbous bit lol. ps i have bee wrong before keep the post coming.;)
PS SAKO YOU ARE CORRECT THEY WILL COME IN TO SEASON AT DIFFERNT TIMES BUT NOT NORMALLY IN JUNE I HAVE NEVER KNOWN IT

Roe rut.

I never suggested at all in my post that the rut had started, only behaviour observed not only by me but by several other stalker friends here in the north. And that all things considered the deer were well advanced this year. Weather plays a part too and we always get what we call the false rut, but the buck I shot was an old boy really intent in his pursuit and the gold medal shot chasing in the Black Isle was seemingly seen with the doe for several days. And as Dave says, and observed too, bucks with does and ringing activity there is always exceptions to the rules....​

I was out again this morning not far from where i live and on route saw another Mature Buck chasing a doe, it was one of the best ive seen in this area for a long time and a beautiful russet red coat. Ive not witnessed this much early action in the 30 years ive been stalking in the highlands and seeing so many different mature and not young Bucks doing the chasing.

Back